THE SECRET

The kitchen blew me away. There were granite counter tops and a huge silver Chandelier. It reminded me of those kitchens I saw on MTV Cribs. It was the kind of home you only ever saw on t.v.

I watched as Quad's mother crossed the room, pulling a beautifully decorated red velvet cake from the refrigerator. She moved with ease to the cabinets, taking out her fine china, cutting into the cake. She sat each slice of cake on the plates then rested them on a tray. She seemed like one of those Southern women who knew her way around the kitchen. I bet she could throw down that Thanksgiving dinner like nobody's business.

"Quad must really like you", she stated, giving me the tray. She quickly put the cake away and cleaned up the mess she had made.

"I hope he does", I chuckled. I paced myself for whatever question she would fire at me next. Ms Yvette had a loaded bullet and fired questions back to back to back.

"How did you meet?".

"We met at my job".

"What do you do?".

"I'm an accountant".

"Where are you from originally?".

"I'm from Chicago", I breathed, hoping that was the last question. I felt like I was at a press conference or an Election debate getting drilled.

"Has he told you much about his family?".

"He only spoke about you", I answered, following her as she led the way back to the living room.

"Charleigh"

"Charleigh!"

Quad snapped his fingers in front of my face getting my attention. I shook my head saying, "huh?".

"There's something I need to tell you", he started, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

Ms Yvette sat in the accent chair with her legs crossed, sipping her tea, staring at us intently.

"What is it?", I said, not really wanting to hear any bad news. My heart beat started racing like a horse being whipped by a jockey. I touched my chest, feeling like I was about to throw up. I sat on the edge of the couch waiting for him to speak.

"Ma you think I should show her instead?", Quad furrowed his brows, stretching his neck to look at his mama.

She straight faced him then shrugged her shoulders as if she really didn't care at that point.

"Quad", I smacked my lips.

"Hold on, baby", he said, grabbing my hands. "I'll be right back".

Quad ran out of the room leaving me in a state of confusion and anxiousness. I felt like my blood pressure was sky high.

"Is it bad?", I asked Ms Yvette.

"Girl it can be good or bad depending on the kinda person you are!", Ms Yvette said laughing.

Suddenly a little girl came into the room. She was the cutest little black girl that I have ever seen. She had a round face, cocoa colored skin complexion, big brown eyes, soft wavy black shoulder-length hair and a dimpled smile. She wore a pink tutu dress and clear jelly sandals.

"Hiii!!!", she greeted, waving her hand from side to side. She smiled sweetly, batted her eyes and ran over to Ms Yvette.

"Hi", I smiled, admiring her from afar.

Quad stepped in with a bowl of ice cream.

"Daddyy!!", the little girl exclaimed. She jumped int Quad's arms and started eating some of the ice cream.