Chlorine Poisoning

"Oh my god." Gasped mara. Her hands flew to her eyelids and she rubbed them firmly, smearing some of her eyeshadow in the process. When she opened her eyes, they were still just as vibrant and stunning as before, despite this, Mara frowned.

"Yeah no kidding," Said Alex, crossing her arms. "You didn't notice them before?" She asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"No! They weren't like this at all before!" Exclaimed Mara, leaning against the bathroom sink for support. "I think it was during first hour today."

"Well, it's weird whatever it is, we will talk about it later," Sighed Alex. "I better get going, or I'll be late for class." As if on cue, the bell rang. Alex picked up her school bag that she had dropped on the floor earlier, giving Mara a strange look.

Mara sighed and followed her friend out of the bathroom, only to go separate ways once they were outside the door. Mara went through the rest of the day in a foggy haze. She shared only two of her other classes with Adrian, in which she spent with her head firmly focused on her classwork, and had to pull her eyes away from staring when he sat down next to her in science, and didn't talk to him for the entire hour. Once the final bell rang, Mara left her last period and made her way towards her locker at the other end of the hall. When she reached her locker, she attempted to pry her practice bag out of the tiny metal prison cell that encased her belongings. However, after yanking and pulling her bag rather harshly, she finally had rescued her bag out of her locker.

Mara had managed to get her jacket on, and had one bag on each of her shoulders when she realized that she was going to be late for the bus. Mara power-walked the rest of the way down the hall, and was in such a rush that she accidentally knocked into someone. She turned around to find that she had bumped into Adrian, and he was now coldly glaring at her. Her eyes widened with shock and she uttered a quiet apology, quickening her pace to a run until she reached her bus. Mara thankfully made on it before the bus could pull out and plopped down next to Alex and her friends, (they are twins: maternal not identical) Brian and Colby.

"Hey Mara!" Colby grinned widely which turned into confusion once she turned around." What happened to your eyes?"

Mara frowned and looked at her hands. "Long story." she sighed.

"I think it looks awesome." Brian remarked with a smirk on his face, causing Colby to nod in agreement. Alex looked at Mara with a questioning look and Mara mouthed "Later" to her.

The rest of the car ride to practice went quick, Colby always cracking jokes and Brian always making conversation, and all of them laughing together until tears brimmed their eyes. The four of them always made the most noise on the bus rides to practices and swim meets.

The bus screeched to a halt sending the group lurching forwards in their seats. They all scurried to grab their bags and hop off the bus into the pool doors. Mara and Alex both headed into the girls locker rooms to change and mentally prepare themselves for the workout that day. Mara pulled on her favorite watermelon practice suit, grabbed her cap and goggles, and pulled her hair in a messy bun. Meanwhile, Alex was still getting her suit on.

"How do you do that?" Alex laughed, showing her dimpled smile.

"I don't know, second nature I guess." Mara smiled back.

Alex chuckled as they both got onto the pool deck with swim bags in hand. Mara let everyone in her lane leave the wall before her, giving her plenty of time to adjust her goggles and cap. She then sat down and slid into the pool and pushed off of the wall in a streamline position. Suddenly, Mara felt extremely nauseas and her skin burned and itched. She barely made it to the other end, but she climbed out of the pool and ran in the direction of the locker room. Mara flung open the door, took in the fresh air, and sat down on a cool metal bench in-between the lockers. She immediately felt better now that she was out of the pool, but she didn't dare go back in. Mara tried to think of all of the things that had happened that day and what had caused them. However, she couldn't clear her mind from her thoughts, or just one in particular; Adrian.

"Mara? What's happening to you?" Said Alex, causing Mara to jump in surprise.

"I don't know but it has something to do with the new guy." Mara said. After that, she explained to Alex everything that happened that day that was somewhat weird or unusual.

"I don't know what to say......I could research on it tonight, but you need to tell your parents about this." Said Alex. "I'll go tell coach that you're sick, and you can call your parents to come and pick you up."

"Ok." Mara sighed. Alex left the locker room, leaving Mara to change alone.

----------------------(15 Minutes later)----------------------

Mara rested her chin on her hand, watching the houses zoom past her vision as her car turned onto their street. She hadn't spoken the whole ride to her house. Although, her mom hadn't spoken either almost as if she knew what was going on. Mara was drowned in her thoughts when the car rested to a stop in their garage.

"So, do you want to tell me what's going on?" Pressed her mom.

Mara explained everything to her mom, beginning with the new guy, and ending with, well, right at that moment. Her mom looked more stressed the further Mara got in the story.

"Go up to your bedroom, I will meet you up there." Her mom said hurriedly, grabbing her purse and rushing into the house. Mara ,worried, and even more confused than before, grabbed her bags and made her way up to her room. She spotted her mother rummaging through her chest in the room across from Mara's.

Mara plopped down on her bed and scrolled through her Instagram feed until her dad and mom came in her room and sat beside her. Mara looked at them with a worried expression.

"Honey, we really need you to be serious about this okay?" Her mom asked, continuing once Mara had nodded in response. "We weren't expecting to have to tell you about this in the first place, but you're a Mermaid."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N)

HHHHEEEEYYYYY!
sorry not sorry for the cliff hanger
thank y'all for reading this story, i hope you like it
the picture is of Alex