Explanations

"What?!?!" asked Mara, completely bewildered.

"You're a Mer-"

"Ok, I heard you say that, but it doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't I sprout a tail every time I touched water?" Mara said, cutting her mom off.

"Technically, yes, but that means you are half mermaid, Me being a Mer and your father being a human. We didn't think you were going to be a Mermaid at all, much less find your moon mate." explained her mom, holding her hand up when Mara opened up her mouth to ask another question. "A Moon Mate happens when Grandmother Moon chooses two creatures to be a perfect match, and this happens every month on the full moon. Moon Matches are most common among the Werewolves, Mermaids, and Vampires, but sometimes among humans too. Me and your father are Moon Mates, which is probably why she chose you to be the next one."

"So who is my Moon Mate?" asked Mara.

"I don't know Mara, it should be the new boy in your class that caused your Mate Mark to appear,and eye color to change." Said Her mother, striking a whole new wave of anxiousness and questions to arrive in Mara's head.

"Mate Mark?" asked Mara.

"It looks like a tattoo, but I can't be sure where it is, you're going to have to find it yourself."

"So then where's my tail?"

"Well since it is exactly 6 months to your 18th birthday, your tail will appear the next time you are fully submerged in saltwater. That's why when you went into the pool you felt sick, because your body was trying to absorb the saltwater in the chlorine, but took in some of the chemicals instead."

"Do I have to quit swimming?" Mara asked, fearing the worst.

"Maybe for a week or two, I will have to enchant this necklace for you so you are immune to the chemicals." Said her mom, twirling a shell necklace in between her fingers.

"Ok." Sighed Mara in relief. Her parents went silent, which made her feel really uncomfortable.

"Well, me and your father will leave you alone to change, and you and I will go out to our beach to let you shift, seeing that your father is a boy." Her mother handed her a swimsuit to put on, and they left.

Mara changed slowly, pulling her top and bottoms on and pulling her hair into a ponytail. She grabbed her towel on her way out the door, meeting her mother at the bottom of the stairs. Together they walked out to their private beach in their backyard.

"Mara, you're going to feel quite a lot of pain during your first shifting. And also you are going to want to take your swimsuit bottoms off, unless you want them to rip."

"Thanks, but I don't feel comfortable with stripping in front of you, sorry." Said Mara, letting the seawater lap up against her toes.

Mara started to wade out into the ocean until she was waist deep, then she dove in headfirst. It seemed as if the water had turned into fire, burning her from head to toe. This wasn't like the pool, the pool made her sting. The feeling was like when she dove in the pool combined with when she saw Adrian, only ten times more excruciating. Mara winced as she tried to crawl out of the ocean, trying to get out of the fiery hell that it was. She crawled out onto the sand, but the transformation had already begun, her legs were already trying to mold into themselves, her bones rearranging and clashing against each other. Her mother rushed over to her and grabbed her hand. Mara screamed as the pain intensified, her scales and fins appeared, ripping her suit bottoms and leaving a golden/bronze and blue colored tail underneath. The pain quickly subsided, leaving Mara gasping for breath and tears stained her face. The whole process probably lasted about a minute, but it felt like hours.

"Quite a lot is an understatement, Mom." Mara huffed.

"Well, you went through all of this for a reason. Go enjoy your tail!" Smiled her mom.

Mara nodded and slid into the water, doing three huge dolphin kicks to push off, and marveled at how powerful, and beautiful her tail really was. She swam through schools of fish and shipwrecks, not having to take a single breath. She had been swimming for a while and looked up to see that it was already dark, meaning she had been swimming for at least an hour and a half. She turned around and started to swim towards her house. Mara's mother was waiting for her with a towel in hand.

Mara pushed herself up onto the sand, grinning widely. "That was AWESOME!"

"I know." sighed her mom, sadness flashing through her eyes momentarily. "I will get you dried off and then you will have to change back, but it's not as painful. The more you shift, the less it hurts." her mother said, drying Mara with a towel.

As soon as Mara was dry, her tail started to split apart. Mara grit her teeth together, trying to fight the pain. But soon enough her legs were back; and bare naked at that. She grabbed her towel, wrapped it around her waist, and followed her mother back inside. Mara headed into the shower, knowing that the water was purified enough that she wouldn't change.

When Mara had scrubbed herself clean of salt and sand, and gotten her pajamas on, she walked out onto her balcony that looked out on both her beach and the woods. The woods separated the house from all civilization for at least two football fields length in all directions, so they had a lot of land......and a huge house. Some would say the family was rich, but that didn't matter because no one knew except for Amy. Amy was Mara's only real friend, and Amy wasn't the kind of person to use someone else for their money.

Mara suddenly spotted something out of the corner of her eye, in the direction of the woods. There were a pair of golden glowing eyes that were staring right at her, watching. Mara got frightened and rushed back into her room, locking her doors behind her.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

A/N

Hellooooooo!
The picture above is what Mara's tail looks like
Im so glad that finals are over :D
thank you for reading!!!
it means a lot to me when you vote and comment and even just read it
Love
-K