- i don't like her - mw

this is set in between season two, episode nine: the gate, and season three, episode one: suzie, do you copy?

summary; el and y/n hate each other for one reason: michael wheeler.

word count: 826

. . .

being enemies with el wasn't fun.

the constant fear of her killing me at any moment loomed over me like a shadow.

to be honest, we're pretty similar, but that's not why we hate each other. the reason why we hate each other is petty really.

the reason we hate each other is because of michael wheeler.

yes, you heard that right. we hate each other because of a boy.

i'll give you a little backstory.

i've liked mike for as long as i can remember, and i honestly thought he liked me back, but that was a long time ago, but then came along innocent eleven, playing the victim. he only payed attention to her and then she disappeared. then, he started paying attention to me again. and then said he liked me and then, the next thing i know is that el is back and they're at the snowball, dancing, kissing.

i don't know if mike likes me or el, but he needs to figure it out. now.

now, that's enough story time. let's get to the real story.

. . .

i walk down the basement stairs of the wheeler's house to see will, dustin, lucas, max and... mike. even though i want to stop loving him, i can't. he's irresistible.

"y/n, hey! you made it!" mike said, happily. "el is on her way."

mike looked way happier when he mentioned her name.

that made my blood boil.

i would love to be best friends with el, even acquaintances will do, but i can't. i don't know why, i just can't.

"great." i mutter.

"i'll put the movie on!" lucas eagerly grabs the tape and puts it into the player.

will, dustin, myself, mike and lucas all sit squashed next to each other on the sofa, in that order, as max sits on the floor in front of me.

max passes the bowl of popcorn to dustin, as the sound of footsteps come running down the stairs.

"i'm so sorry that i'm late, mike."

el. that bitch finally turned up.

"it's fine, el. don't worry about it." mike gives her a comforting smile which makes my blood boil.

she gives him an innocent smile and sits down next to max on the floor.

"you alright, y/n/n?" mike asks, concerned.

"yeah, yeah, i'm fine." i don't bother to look at him, instead i just grab a handful of popcorn and pay attention to the movie that had started playing.

"okay." he says not totally convinced, but he also turns to the screen.

. . .

el occasionally gives me a dirty look to which i respond with a cocky smile, but to the most part, i don't let her get to me.

the movie eventually comes to an end. will is lent up against the arm of the sofa, curled up into a little ball. dustin has his head on my shoulder, his hat on his lap on top of the bowl of half empty popcorn. lucas is face first onto a pillow that rests on his thighs. max is leaning on el's left shoulder, slightly snoring.

the only one's awake are me, mike and el.

fuck.

eleven is making googly eyes at mike and i'm pretty sure he's making them back.

"well, i should go." i carefully push dustin off my shoulder and i move off of the couch.

"do you have to?" mike asks as he quickly takes his eyes off el.

"if she wants to go, she should go." el replies, crossing her arms.

"well, i guess. i'll see you out." mike jumps off the sofa and follows me out.

el lets out a sigh and puts a pretzel in her mouth.

mike and i go out the back door and out to the garage.

"well, this was fun. we should do it again soon, y/n." mike smiles.

"yeah, sure." i mutter, grabbing my bike.

"are you alright, y/n/n?" mike tries to grab onto my hand, but i pull away.

"who, mike?" i suddenly say.

"what do you mean?" mike asks, visibly confused.

"who? me or her?" i drop my bike and turn to face him.

"her?" mike is definitely confused.

"who do you like? eleven or me?" i cross my arms. "you give me hints like you're interested in me, but then you give el heart eyes."

"y/n-" mike begins.

"i goddamn knew it, you adore eleven. you have since you first saw her, the night we went looking for will." i uncross my arms and i turn to pick my bike up once again.

"i don't like her." mike's breathing hitches.

"well, neither do i."

with that, i ride my bike back to my house.

away from her.

away from mike.