- sunshine girl and her darkness: part one - mw

warnings: this has some sensitive subjects in this imagine, such as suicide, self harm and depression. please, if you don't feel comfortable with these topics, skip this imagine and the rest of the "sunshine girl and her darkness" series. thank you :)

this is set after season three, episode eight: the battle of starcourt

summary; mike wheeler had changed after the events of '85 and y/n, his girlfriend, is determined to get him back to his usual self.

word count: 810

. . .

something is wrong with mike. everyone knew. his parents, his sisters, his friends, but most importantly, his girlfriend. y/n l/n. even the name radiated positivity. she shined of happiness, so when she found out her boyfriend, who she loved dearly, wasn't so happy: it killed her. it made sunshine girl...sad. so very sad.

the guilt of thinking she had done something wrong to mike followed her like a shadow - it may not always be visible, but it was there.

y/n wanted the normal mike wheeler back, the funny, happy, slightly angsty mike wheeler back. so she came up with a plan. a group sleepover. ever since el and will moved away, the party slowly became more distant. y/n was determined to bring everyone back together. she called mike, dustin, lucas and max and luckily, they all thought it was a great idea and were enthusiastic about it, except one. michael wheeler. he reluctantly agreed, wanting to keep his girlfriend happy like she always is.

dustin was the first to arrive, since he lived the closest and seemed the most excited for the sleepover. max and lucas came together. ever since el and the byers' moved, they've been as close as ever. y/n gave lucas advice and planned all their dates (without max knowing of course, she just assumed the lucas had developed some romantic skills during their time apart). the four were having a great time, but something felt missing, or should i say someone.

the sound of gruff knocking was heard all the way from the basement. y/n ran upstairs, knowing exactly who it was.

"mike!" she yelled, as she threw open the door.

mike's heart fluttered in the slightest.

she still cared for him, even though he was an absolute mess.

mike's hair was messier than usual and his hoodie was zipped up to his throat so far up that it looked like it was choking him. mike was wearing some cuffed jeans that his mom got him years ago, it was honestly surprising that it still fit him.

"come in! everyone's already here!" y/n brightly smiled at her boyfriend.

mike nodded as he trailed behind y/n, subconsciously playing with the sleeves of his black hoodie.

"guess who's here?" y/n giggled as she ran down the stairs.

"i don't know, sunshine girl, why don't you tell us?" max smiled at the lovesick girl.

"well, see for yourself!" y/n threw her arms up in the air.

mike was awkwardly standing at the bottom of the stairs.

he had been to y/n's house so many times, and seen all these people before, so why was he nervous?

mike nodded his head towards the party, before sitting on the single seat, a little away from the others.

y/n sat back down on the floor, besides dustin.

"it's been so long since we were all here together!" y/n exclaimed.

"i know! i've honestly missed this so much." dustin agreed.

max and lucas are curled up together on the loveseat, which makes y/n smile before realising that her and mike never do that anymore. ever.

they used to be so close? what happened?

time went on, as well as movie after movie.

they were all enjoying themselves, except mike.

y/n and max were gushing at how hot harrison ford was making dustin laugh and lucas become slightly more jealous than he liked to admit.

mike - thinking he was going unnoticed, sneaked upstairs, to the top floor.

mike entered y/n's bedroom, a small smile making it's way onto his face.

he truly did love her. he had to be honest with that.

her room hadn't changed since she was a small child, and he adored that.

pastel colours covered every wall, every piece of furniture, every inch of her room.

and in that moment, mike realised that he was the only dark thing in her room. he was the darkness in her light, and he needed to leave.

he pulled off his hoodie, to reveal the long sleeve, black shirt he wore underneath and placed his jacket on y/n's bed. she wouldn't mind. she never did.

mike pulled down his sleeves so they went down near the tips of his fingers and left the room.

y/n tucked herself around the corner so mike couldn't see her. she was successful, but she also noticed what was under his sleeves.

cuts.