- sunshine girl and her darkness: part two - mw

warnings: this has some sensitive subjects in this imagine, such as suicide, self harm and depression. please, if you don't feel comfortable with these topics, skip this imagine and the rest of the "sunshine girl and her darkness" series. thank you :)

this is set after season three, episode eight: the battle of starcourt

summary; after y/n sees something she really didn't want to witness, she decides to approach mike about what she saw.

word count: 597

. . .

y/n didn't want to believe it to be true. was mike really that depressed? so depressed that he started self-harming? y/n's heart started beating at a dramatic pace at just the thought of it.

she crept back down the stairs to see mike sitting back in his original place, he looked a little happier, which slightly lifted y/n's hopes, but not enough to bring a smile to her face.

"hey, y/n/n, you alright?" max asked the h/c girl.

y/n rubbed her eyes, hoping that it was all a bad dream.

mike's head snapped up, his eyes widening. she had seen his deepest and darkest secret. she was there.

"yeah, i'm fine, just getting a bit tired." it was a reasonable excuse in y/n's opinion.

"well, dustin's already the passed the hell out." lucas points in front of him to where dustin lays in a ball.

"we should probably go to sleep then." mike speaks up for the first time since he's arrived.

y/n, lucas and max's eyes shoot up to meet his, but his eyes are already glued on his girlfriend.

"i second that." y/n looks towards mike.

. . .

lucas and max were cuddled up with each other, in a deep sleep, just like dustin, but y/n and mike were wide awake.

"why?"

mike looks up to see y/n, quite tears rolling down her pink cheeks.

"i don't know what you're talking about." mike pulls his sleeves down out of habit.

"i think you do." y/n points towards mike's sleeves.

mike doesn't know what to say, he's speechless.

"so, i want to know..." y/n turns to mike. "why?"

"after everything that's happened, i just... i feel so numb." mike's eyes begin to well up.

"let's go somewhere more private." y/n stands up and offers her hand to mike and he takes it.

they go up two flights of stairs to y/n's bedroom, but neither of them sit down.

"the byers and el are gone, so why aren't i?" mike speaks up. "hopper and billy are dead, so why aren't i?"

a small gasp leaves y/n's lips, as tears move faster.

"mike-" y/n can hardly breathe, let alone speak. "you're here for a reason. y-you have people... who care for you, like me. i love you mike, and i-i will never, ever leave you."

tears flow like a waterfall down mike's cheeks, as heavy sobs echo.

"i'm sorry." mike cries, clinging onto y/n. "i'm so damn sorry."

"mike, please don't apologise." y/n hugs him tightly. "i just need you to know that-that i love you, more than anyone or anything."

"i l-love you too." mike sobs harder. "i just want the pain to stop!"

y/n leads mike to her bed, and lays down with him.

"i know that things are hard, but please, please, mike. don't - do not - ever feel like that you don't belong here, because you do." y/n grips mike tightly, like he could disappear at any moment.

mike's eyes slowly close, and soon he's dead asleep in y/n's arms.

y/n soon falls asleep too, hoping that mike won't leave anytime soon.