Uncomfort Zone

I was walking into school Friday morning with my headphones in when somebody shoulder checked me, forcing my books out of my hand. I glanced down and watched the various papers scatter on the ground before looking up at the person responsibly. The boy responsible wasn't someone I recognized but he simply glanced back and laughed. I saw his mouth move but didn't hear his words for the ringing in my ears. Blood was pooling in my face and suddenly I was hot with anger. All I could feel was fiery rage.

My nostrils flared as I cracked my neck and threw my hood back.

**

"Miss Black it's only your third day at this school and you've attacked another student. I'm sorry but you've got detention."

I sat in the squeaky vinyl chair staring through the man in front of me.

There was no emotion on my part.

What a fuck up. You haven't been here a week and you're already ruining your reputation. No wonder mommy left.

That fucking voice was back with a vengeance today.

"He assaulted me first."

"With all due respect Devika, a few books being dropped do not excuse breaking someone's nose. Report to detention this evening."

Well at least I didn't have to make up an excuse to Leah.

I simply nodded, uncrossed my legs, and stood. There was no getting through to this man. I knew his type. Peaked in high school, probably played football back in the day. That ass clown I hit probably played too. Got to keep the little moneymaker's mommy and daddy happy. A nobody like me didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I doubted the guy would even be punished.

Leah was waiting for me just outside the office.

"What the fuck happened? I heard you hit Aaron Hill!" her voice was genuinely concerned, albeit impressed.

"Some jock punk knocked my shit out of my hands, so I knocked him out. An eye for an eye, right?" My voice was unwavering as we walked. The halls were mostly empty.

"How much trouble are you in? I can't believe you managed that! He's one of the star football players."

I smirked. I knew it.

"Detention tonight. Sorry I won't make your party." There was no sense of remorse in my tone.

"Bummer. Well if you get bored after, come by. My parents are out of town, so we'll be going pretty late," her voice was still enthralled as we entered Government.

"We'll see." Doubtful.

**

I watched as people poured out of the building, flooding the parking lot eager to start their weekend. I sat at a desk facing the window. It was easiest to lose one's self in windows. Plenty of people watching and distractions.

The only sound in the room was the silent hum of the air conditioning above my head and the scratch of a pencil somewhere behind me. The teacher responsible for maintaining my imprisonment was lost in a world of sudoku.

A new noise brought me out of my haze.

Footsteps.

"Welcome back Leo" The teacher addressed the student as he pulled a chair out, purposely forcing the metal legs to scream in protest as they were pulled across the tile harshly. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

"Every Friday." The voice sounded.

I turned my head slightly.

He was a head taller than me even sitting down. His copper colored hair was long and shaggy, and he had a nose piercing.

I glanced back on the other side to see the teacher yawn and rub his eyes drowsily. If I was a betting gal, I'd put my money on him falling asleep soon.

Ten minutes later I checked, and he was leaning back in his chair, his mouth agape, snoring quietly.

The Leo kid spoke up just as I was settling back into my seat.

"You're new."

I turned slightly, enough to see his eyes on me. I turned back to the window and remained silent.

"I'm talking to you."

"Yeah. And?" I said just loud enough to be heard. I'd had enough male attention to last me a lifetime.

"Fiesty," he crooned. I could hear his interest pique.

"Get fucked," rolling my eyes, I crossed my arms.

"You offering?" the amusement was rolling off him in waves.

I didn't have to look back to know his eyes were on me as I got up and walked past him towards the door. I knew I'd be facing worse punishment for leaving but at the moment I needed fresh air and distance between me and this guy.

The metal legs scraping made me shiver again, but this time for another reason entirely. He was following me.

I kept my eyes ahead as I started out, the dying sunlight hitting my face as I walked out into the young evening.

I was halfway to my Jeep when I managed a glance behind me.

I was alone.

Not even that creep thinks you're worth the time.

I rolled my eyes in frustration and allowed a small breath of relief to wash over me as I marched to my vehicle and all but threw my bag into the passenger seat as I climbed in.

I resisted the urge to scream and forced myself to breathe, allowing the familiar numbing disassociation to snake its' way into my brain. I was calm and unfeeling in moments.

My phone went off as the engine sputtered before coming alive. It was Leah.

I've got alcohol... Come pick ur poison 😉

For a moment I contemplated my options. As badly as I wanted to stay away, parties meant drugs. And I needed to get high as soon as possible and get rid of this feeling of unease in my stomach.

I gritted my teeth as I typed a reply and put the car in drive and headed in the direction of Leah Birch's house party.