Ocean Eyes

Leah and I were setting chips out on the counter when the doorbell rang, signaling guests were arriving. Christmas music was playing from somewhere in the den and every inch of the Birch household was covered in festive decorations. Nick had enlisted the help of his friends earlier in the day to help him hang sparkly golden garland from every accessible surface, light refracting off the soft plastic drapes in every direction. The yellow vines reminded me of some invasive species of plant, taking over every available location and choking out anything that dared try to compete for resources. I tried not to feel like the Grinch as I held onto a large red bowl that Leah was dumping tortilla chips into and gave the garland hanging dangerously off the table an apprehensive glance.

We wore matching ugly Christmas sweaters, the cheap dyed wool scratchy and thin and decorated with glowing lights. My hair was tucked into a loose side braid and I'd paired the sweater with a pair of fleece-lined black leggings and my vans.

Judd was, as he predicted, nowhere to be found. He had left earlier in the afternoon and wasn't answering my texts. I could only imagine he was probably off somewhere brooding or breaking the law. Anarchy didn't take holidays off after all.

"Just wait until the wine starts flowing. My aunt Donna is a mess. Oh, and whatever you do, do not bring up anything political with my uncle Mark." Leah was going through the family tree, rambling off things to remember but I could only hope to try to remember it all.

"Leah!" A squeal of delight broke up the conversation and we both looked up. A girl who looked around our age was barreling towards us at full speed. She didn't stop until she collided into Leah and grabbed her up in a bone crushing hug. She was shorter than both of us and had pin straight brunette hair and a splash of freckles.

"Bridget! My favorite cousin! I didn't think you guys were coming... Isn't Derek home from basic training?" Leah embraced the girl while I stood there awkward and silent, holding the bowl of tortilla chips with clammy hands. "Oh, this is Devi by the way, she's a good friend of mine. Devi this is my little cousin Bridget."

"Nice to meet you!" She turned to me and flashed an eccentric smile before releasing Leah. "Yeah he's back. And a bigger douche than ever." The brunette rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. A shadow in my peripheral moved and my eyes flashed immediately towards the movement. A young man with the signature Birch family jawline, cornflower blue eyes and a buzzcut stood in the doorway, leaning on the wooden frame with his own arms crossed loosely in front of him as he watched us. He was dressed in jeans and a navy striped polo shirt that was tucked into his belt.

"I thought that I was your favorite cousin Leeloo?" His voice was deep and smooth and gave Leah a faux hurt expression. I could only assume he was Derek.

I chuckled. "Leeloo?" Leah gave me a dirty look as I continued. "Like from the Fifth Element?"

"Yeah. He was obsessed with that movie when we were kids." Leah took the bowl from my hands and set it down on the table roughly. "Devi this is my annoying ass cousin Derek. Don't let the good looks fool you, he's a big asshole. Probably worse than Judd."

"Where is ol' Juddy anyway? Locked in his room slitting his wrists to his emo music?" Derek joked, pushing himself off the doorframe and coming closer. Instantly my eyes narrowed on their own accord and I had to bite my tongue.

"Shut up Derek. He's not here." Leah sighed, grabbing the dish from me and setting it on the table. There was a crack of electric animosity in the air and suddenly I wasn't sure I wanted to be situated between Leah and her cousin. I swallowed the smirk that was beginning to form at the corners of my mouth as I moved around the table and stood by the fridge instead. She might not like her brother, but it warmed my heart to see Leah defend him.