Disarmed

[[Author's note: Hello my wonderful readers! I can't believe this story has blown up like this! Thank you so so much for your support!! I am trying to get on a weekly update schedule but I am currently finishing college/about to start externing and life has not been my friend haha. But I have the entire story pretty much mapped out now and will be doubling my efforts to get chapters posted! Thank you again for supporting me and my story I love all of you! <3 ]]

Leah was sitting across from me complaining once again about boys, Tallulah and Naomi in full compliance. I had given up trying to avoid her, the previous day's activities leaving me aching and emotionally vulnerable. I needed something stable to cling to, no matter how outlandishly desperate it felt. I'd be meeting my mother later and while the child in me leapt for joy at the prospect of attention from her, the bitter teenager quickly snapped and reprimanded her, reminding her that it was all just for show. She didn't care, she just didn't want to feel guilty.

I should've been upset or angry. But instead I was characteristically calm. I pushed the feelings away, stuffing them deep down and locking them away. Out of sight, out of mind.

I stared down at the turkey sandwich in front of me. I began scarfing it down, imagining it was the ubiquitous sense of dread hanging over my head. At least I would get something shiny and new from the encounter this evening. Maybe another pair of shoes.

What a nice trade for forgone parental rights.

A sharp pain in the back of my mouth brought me back to the present. I glanced up quickly to make sure no one was watching and politely spit the food bolus into a napkin and gasped. Sticking out of the smashed bread and meat was a shard of glass the size of my thumbnail, tinted pink with blood. Immediately my heart was racing. How had that gotten there? Had I done this? Spitting out the remainder of the food, I stood in shock as more glass came with it. What was happening?

A wave of nausea overcame me at the sight, and I was forced to vomit. It spilled onto the stark white lunch table, fragments of the crystalline substance glinting amongst the deep sangria that was making its' way towards Leah. I wanted to warn her, but I couldn't form words. My mouth was repeatedly being sliced open as crystals kissed my tongue and hard palate, filling my nose with the scent of fresh blood. Splinters colored a sickly vermillion came out with each wretch and continued to flow. Leah's face was liquid paper white and she stood there in disbelief, Tallulah and Naomi were nowhere to be seen suddenly.

"You-you're disgusting," she recoiled in horror when I tried to reach for her, my eyesight fading in and out from suspected blood loss. The scent and taste of iron was overwhelming.

"What have you got to say for yourself?" The depression hummed in my ear, planting itself firmly on my shoulders, forcing me to my knees. I was drowning in blood. It was coming out of my nose now, streams of the red-hot fluid joining the near constant hemorrhage flowing from my lips. I was dying.

"Just say it Devi. Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!" Leah was over me now, her face flushed and angry as she chanted the phrase like a mantra. I couldn't form words. I couldn't think.

Her words were becoming less human, blurring together into a distress call.

Suddenly my eyes were open. My alarm was going off right in front of my face. I shrieked and threw it away from me. I was in the living room of my house. I was safe.

"Bad dream?" My father inquired nonchalantly as he walked into the kitchen dressed in his normal work attire. "You were tossing and turning a lot in your sleep."

"Yeah... really bad." I could barely form the words, the taste of pennies still in my mouth despite the fact I was conscious. I sat up, noticing the afghan from the couch was draped over me. He must've placed it on me while I was asleep and grabbed my phone.