iv. jealous

"Girl they just jealous, jealous, jealous...
Don't want us to together, gether, gether..."

- Jealous
Dj Khaled

[•]

The first week of school was uneventful but I did try out for Track and Cheer. When I started dancing, the girls instantly took me in. I was a natural. The guy from the store didn't bother me anymore but his friend, who I now know as Spooky, is often around. The team told me he just got out of jail but one of the girls said that he knocked her up and forced her to get an abortion before he went in. So I have decided to not even speak on him or his presence.

Monse introduced me to her friends who seem to like me especially Ruby who holds my hand when I take them to the mall.

"Where do you get so much money from?", Jamal asked when I pulled out my wallet to pay for our food.

"I used to sell-"

"Drugs? I knew it!", Jamal cheered until he noticed everyone staring at him.

"I used to sell my old clothes and shoes but then I had enough money to start my own business so now I sell lashes, hair, and my own designs. I'm surprised Monse didn't tell you that what I wear is mostly my own."

"Damn, girl. How you get that smart and resourceful?", Ruby asked making me chuckle lightly.

"Daddy went away and Mom wasn't focused on paying bills so someone had to."

"So you're dad left you?", Jamal asked all sad like.

"He passed away," Monse snapped making Jamal take a step back.

I handed them the food and we headed to a table to sit down.

"Why are you being so nice to us? Jamal just accused you of being a drug dealer, Cesar barely talks, and Monse is Monse, okay. But you still wanna hang out with us?"

"To be honest, I like hanging out with you. Cause if you can handle Monse then you are some real ones."

"Hey, I'm right here?!", Monse pouted.

I reached over and tapped her nose. She tried to smack my hand away.

"I have to go. Oscar needs me," Cesar mumbled making everyone give him a panicked look.

I heard that he was jumped into the gang from Monse one morning before school. She was going crazy on ideas of how to save him from the gang

"Here. Take this," I stopped him and handed him a bag filled with fries and burgers.

"Thanks," he gave me a small smile.

The rest of us sat there just talking about what they were gonna do to save Cesar. I wanted to help but getting out of gangs was not as easy as they were making it seem.

"Um... Have you guys even included Cesar in this plan of yours?", I asked dipping my French Fries into some ketchup.

Monse stopped the conversation and turned to me with a 'do you even need to ask?' look that made me roll my eyes. She was such a dictator but somehow you had to love her never ending loyalty when it came to things such as this.

"Okay, so..."

"So what?", I asked Ruby who looked like he had a question to ask.

"I was wondering if you had enough of that money of yours that we could put him away for awhile?"

"First off, I do have enough money to put us all away but what kind of life would that be? You guys are just finding out about life. Do you really wanna be on the run?", I started taking a look around at all of them. Ruby seemed in awe of something on my face, Jamal just had this look of panic, and Monse rolled her eyes. "Second of all, you guys need to involve Cesar in this plan of yours or it's not gonna work. He needs to want this for it to actually be a successful plan."

"He'll want it," Monse pushed.

I shrugged taking a bite of my burger and leaving them to their big debate about who would do what.

My phone rang.

I removed it from my bag and smiled widely as my best friend, Candice's cute face, popped up on my screen.

"Hey freeeennnnn!"

"What's up, beautiful?"

"Nothing. I'm bored. Why haven't you hit me up? I need my daily dose of beauty."

"You looking like a whole five course meal, babe. Look in the mirror."

"I am fine, huh? Okay enough playing. When are you gonna let me and Alicia slide through? Tryna hide all the fine dudes from us, I bet."

"Stop it. Not like you leaving Chris ass alone anytime soon."

"So, a bitch needs options? Gucci, Fendi, Balenciaga, Chanel... I want my lobster and my shrimps, baby!"

I rolled my eyes at my bougie best friend but we were similar in what we wanted from guys. Fortunately I didn't look at guys as a meal ticket anymore after I started making bank doing what I love.

"Come out next weekend. We have a homecoming game coming up and you can come to the parties afterwards."

"I'mma be there! You know this for all the hot girls, right?!"

"Hot girl season in this bitch!"

She was my hype man from jump and we just vibed off each other's energy like no joke. I would be there to make her confident and she'd do the same for me. Alicia, our other friend, was the ghetto type but she was cool and we let her do her.

"I'm calling Alicia and we going shopping like today."

"Well see you both this Friday at my house. Don't bring nothing you don't plan on drinking."

"You better not run from me freennnn! I'm bringing the Henny, the Dusse, and the Ciroc bih!!! We finna be lit lit."

"Bye,love."

"Love you, luv bug!"

I ended the call and noticed that Ruby was giving me this look. I lifted a brow and he pretended like he wasn't staring.

"I'm so happy I have a big cousin to sneak me-"

"I'm not sneaking you alcohol, little girl," I stopped Monse from even pulling that 'Im so happy' crap with me. "It's enough my ass trying to keep from getting caught. I'm not going to be babysitting your drunk ass."

"Just one shot!", Monse begged.

"I have a .48 in this bag that will knock your socks off in one shot," I smirked.

Ruby and Jamal sat up straight then. They were such kids.