xiv. highest in the room

Highest In The Room
- Travis Scott

We pulled apart again for the second time and I didn't want the moment to end but I also didn't want to be caught in the middle of a Santos meeting as his buddies burst through the door.

"Aye, watch it, fool!"

I rolled my eyes and stood up ready to leave them to whatever they had going.

"Hermosa, wait!", Oscar called after me as I made it to the sidewalk.

I turned back to let him say what he wanted to say. He got closer and grabbed my hand squeezing it tight for a moment.

The slip of paper in my hand made me give him a questioning look but he just shook his head and gestured towards the house.

I nodded in understanding.

My lips gave him one last peck on his before I took off down the street to Monse's.

"Where were you?", my little cousin asked as I made myself a glass of water with ice cubes.

"Out. With Oscar."

"You were with the traitor."

"Monse, calm down. He's Cesar's brother and I needed to ask him something important, okay? Plus we need to figure out a way to keep him safe until Oscar can figure something out."

Monse's eyes widened in surprise. I knew she wouldn't believe Oscar trying to help his little brother after the week that they had just been through with everything.

"Jamal's finding the Roller World money and then we can make a plan once we have it."

"I have some money saved now. We could set him up in a motel or some outside of town to keep him safe?", I offered.

Monse gave me a look.

"No, he might as well stay here. Didn't you say you have a gun under the bed?", her words were shaky but she cared deeply for Cesar and it clouded her thoughts.

I nodded.

"Okay but I talked to Oscar about a plan though, Monse."

"What's the plan?"

We both turned to find Cesar standing in the kitchen with his hood on and a solemn look on his face. Monse ran to hug him and I stepped back to give them space.

"I have a friend who can take care of you until we sort things out here. You would have to leave Freeridge though."

"No, I can't leave. What about Ruby? And Monse?"

I looked at my little cousin surprised she had no input but her worry was written all over her face.

"What about you, Cesar? Do you really want to be hiding in your own neighborhood? If he comes back then Oscar or I can handle it," I added stepping up and making it known that he mattered to me just as much as Monse or her other friends.

They were all special. I loved them all.

"Can we think about it?"

It was sweet of him to include Monse in the decision but ultimately it was up to him whether he did this or not. I just couldn't be the one to break it to him.

"Sure... It's your life. I can't force you to do anything and I won't."

He did something unexpected. He gave me a hug which was weird because he seemed to have some type of standoffish attitude towards me since we met. I smiled at the fact that he trusted me.

"Thanks for your help," he thanked me before leaving.

I nodded.

____

My hands rubbed together slowly as I sat on the roof just thinking about what would happen if I called Vinny to step in with the whole Cesar situation.

"Penny for your thoughts...", Monse interrupted my thoughts as she came and sat down beside me.

I turned to give her a look.

"Do you think your plan will work?"

"I wish I knew. But if Cesar stays here there is a possibility that Cesar could get hurt by the Prophets or if Latrelle comes back to finish the job. Do you think it's wise for Cesar to be put in that position?"

"That night plays on repeat in my mind. Of course I don't want to see Cesar get hurt."

"Well convince him that leaving is the best thing for him. He can stay far away from this until something is done," I gave her a sympathetic look because I knew how hard it was to do the right thing. "And he's just one call away if anything, Mo."