xi. soul ties

SOUL TIES
-MajorNine

My besties left Freeridge when Sunday evening rolled around. I hugged each and everyone tightly before promising to invite them back for more fun. But I really wanted to let them focus on their lives and let me focus on getting back on track with mine.

Monse and I went over to her friend Ruby's where I helped his abuelita and mom cook up some traditional Mexican food. The kids were in the back arguing over something. Probably still fussing over Cesar and the whole gang thing.

"Everything is ready, guys," My jaw nearly dropped as I saw the new girl sitting in Cesar's lap.

I instantly found my eyes locked on Monse who had her arms crossed which was a defense mechanism of hers that I noticed. She shook her head and returned her attention back to the group. Cesar looked up over his shoulder and if he could read my thoughts I think he'd be quivering in fear.

"Uh, guys... We finished the food I you guys wanna come dig in," I repeated.

Ruby immediately sat up and raised his hand as Jamal questioned what was exactly on the menu. I listed the food and his eyes just got wider as he nearly dropped all over himself.

Monse and Olivia followed me into the kitchen and we started helping Abuelita and Ruby's mom pass out plates piled with food. It was amazing and I could easily say hands down the best food I had eaten since I got here.

"So Olivia and Cesar?", I questioned Monse as we walked down the street to head home. "But wasn't Cesar just at the house last night?"

Monse hushed me.

"We're not doing it. Olivia likes Cesar and I don't want to reveal to the crew that we had been seeing each other since before the summer. It's just too complicated."

"You watching your "boyfriend" being kissed by another girl because you can't be honest with your friends is the most complicated shit I've heard. One, your gonna start to be jealous and possibly hate Olivia. Two, your friends have been with you since day one and if you think a secret like this will break y'all's crew then you don't know them as well as you think. Mo, be serious."

"When you admit you like Oscar, then I'll reveal my secret," Monse gave me an ultimatum to her problem.

Like how do you flip this on me?

"Fine. Let your boyfriend fall over some other girl but believe me Mo, it won't be that easy."

I wasn't gonna fall for her trap. She had to come a little harder than that to make me bend.

)()()()(

It was Olivia's Quince and I had finished helping Monse with her hair and make up before I started on my own. The smell of my Chanel No. 5 was so fragrant as I spritzed it on my five pulse points. I grabbed my clutch and stood in front of the mirror just admiring my outfit. My pink outfit and the hair that I had chosen to wear this night with a nice updo with curls was a bomb look.

"You two look gorgeous," Uncle Monty complimented us as we made it down the stairs.

I smiled widely and gave him my phone to take our picture. He kept snapping, not knowing of what he was doing. I just hoped he got a few good ones that I could save for the day.

"Okay! Okay! Let's go before we're late to the church," Monse became fed up with the photo taking.

We ended up handing out the booklet explaining the whole thing until I was led away by Geny, Ruby's mom, who loved my dress and make up. She wanted me to help her control the little kids on the daycare seeing as I could get the twins to be quiet for two hours straight. It was a skill but not a problem when it came to helping out.

When I made it back to my seat, I paid attention to the service and when it was time for the after party, I slipped off my heels and traded them for flats.

"Where's Jamal?", I wondered aloud.

"Oh, he wanted to keep looking for the RollerWorld money and we told him it was pointless so he got mad at us."

"And you guys didn't make up for this day to happen with all of you present?", I quirked a brow at Ruby who tugged at his collar nervously.

"It was Monse!", He yelled.

I rolled my eyes at the childish move. Of course you blame someone else but won't take your own personal responsibility for what you did. I loved these kids but sometimes they gave me headaches.

"Fine, I'm gonna go grab me some to eat before I start."

"You look amazing, Derek," Olivia's sweet smile made me love her but the fact that she had what my cousin wanted just made me hate her a little bit. "You always do."

"Thank you, Olivia. You're a sweetie and I loved that you went through with the Quince. It will be an experience that you remember forever."

"Thanks."

•|•|•

I closed my eyes as I started dancing on the floor with no one in particular as my body just felt the vibrations of the music. It was getting late but everyone was having so much fun that I didn't want the night to end. Monse and Cesar had finally admitted they liked each other and were slow dancing. I felt light.

Until I didn't...

"CESAR!!"

My eyes opened wide as Ruby spun around to shield Olivia as a shot fired out.

I gasped as I watched Olivia stumble away and Ruby fell to the ground limply. Geny hurried to check on her son as Abuelita cradled Olivia who had been shot as well.

My fingers stumbled as they dug inside of my clutch to grab my phone and dial 911. I tried to breathe as tears clouded my vision and I cursed the person who would even dare to ruin a day like this for what? For revenge? I don't remember saying anything but I know they were trying to calm me and telling me they were sending someone.

I reached Olivia who was reaching out to Ruby as he breathed in a way that sent goosebumps up my neck. She was bleeding heavily and I ripped a piece of my dress to press firmly onto her wound causing her to cry out in pain.

"Shhhh... It's to help stop the bleeding, baby girl. I'm so sorry."

I felt a hand over mine and I looked up to see Monse with tears covering her face and fear just embedded in her beautiful eyes. Her best friend and new friend were just shot. She must feel like things were turning for the worst.

"Just breathe..."