5 ~ Shopping

I never did leave the bathroom. Being the stubborn person I am, I really did wait it out, embarrassed by the whole ordeal. So I laid there on the tiled floor.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because by the time I was conscious again, the dorm was swathed in an eerie silence as if the dementor of my dreams had laid his blanket of villainous evil over the the building.

It was definitely the whisper of the night; the breath of slumber that I felt. It was as though I had stepped into a parallel dimension where supernatural ghosts and zombies existed. 

I felt like one. My bones ached from the solid floor and I was so hungry, 'brains' didn't sound like such a bad meal. I swallowed. I knew however, that I couldn't eat.

I stood, lumbering, like a bear emerging from hibernation, chilled to the bone and disoriented. It took me a while to figure out that I was laying on a bathroom floor, which I would find repulsive on a normal day, but the events of the past couple of hours was everything but normal. 

My trousers had somewhat dried but I wasn't really sure because I was so cold that my limbs had gone numb and grown accustomed to the dampness of my urine. I could confidently say that my skin had now developed a greyish-blue tint although I could barely see the outline of my hand when I lifted it up in front of me. 

The thin space between the floor and the door left enough of a gap to show me that the light in the main room was switched off. That's a good sign. Or maybe it isn't. I have no idea who - or what - this boy is. He could be stirring up a cauldron of ghastly potions under the guidance of moonlight to illuminate his work. As I said before: a wizard right out of Hogwarts.

Eventually,  my blood freezing and refusing to flow to the digits in my hands was the last straw for me. I needed a warm shower and a bed ASAP and I was going to get it whether this enigmatic boy liked it or not...

I hesitate.

Maybe I spoke with too much assurance there because what I really did was pry the door open inch by inch and peer hesitantly into the dark room. When I don't register any movement, I creep over to my pile of things, peeping over at the boy, confirming my suspicions that he was sleep. 

I manage to shower and get dressed in complete darkness and fall asleep to his soft snores.

The next morning, I wake up to a full bladder as expected. But I'm doubly desperate because I must have been in a such a deep sleep that I failed to wake up in the middle of the night to relieve myself.

I look toward the door to the bathroom and see that it is slightly ajar. An evident lump that is his body in the bed confirms that the toilet is at my disposal. 

Slightly groggy and not yet fully awake, I stumble toward the bathroom, locking the door behind me. A short moment later of desperate bouncing around, I get my pajama bottoms untied and push them down along with my boxers to let my stream go. 

Whilst washing my hands, I decide that I didn't need a shower this morning because I had one last night so my journey today, will start with a coffee to quench the uncomfortable feeling of hunger that I've become accustomed to. 

As soon as I've donned a pair of jeans and a plain black T-shirt, I pull on my trainers from yesterday and throw on a cardigan. I pat my hair down figuring that I look somewhat presentable for the outside world and snatch up my phone, throwing my - now empty - backpack over my shoulder and grab my book. 

I click the button to switch my phone on and stop my advance toward the door. Phone's dead. I don't have it in me to be frustrated. But I do not know the time as there is no clock in the room. Note to self: buy clock.