14. Cracks

Flashbacks are in bold*

The old quivering voice of Durdana Khanum was still reverberating in the room even though she was quiet now. Her breathing was shallow and fast as if she'd just covered the distance of miles. Harram stood there rooted to her spot not knowing what to say.

A killer? Was there any stop, any end to Yahya Duraid's cruelty? Who was the victim this time and how that person was associated with Nano?

She looked back at Khanum only to find her heaving.

"Nano!"

Harram held her from her shoulders leading her to the bed. The questions which were on the tip of her tongue got swallowed seeing Nano's condition.

"Sana Auntie!"

Durdana Khanum was slowly going into oblivion and alarm bells had started ringing around Harram. She frantically shouted to get Sana here and in just mere seconds both Sana and Zara were in the room.

"What happened to her? Ammi!"

Sana was checking Durdana Khanum's pulse. She's become unconscious. The cries for calling a doctor reached a dazed Harram and she immediately dialed the known number.

"He's a killer."

They weren't just words. They were a door leading to a new reality. A reality the woman lying in front of her must've lived. Harram glanced at the pale form of Durdana Khanum and closed her eyes in unease. How many life stories were there where Yahya Duraid was a villain?

"She was fine when she left for the room. We've gone through a checkup just today. How did this happen?"

Sana was mumbling pacing the length of the lounge. Doctor was checking Nano inside where Aalee was also present.

"Auntie, I...."

Harram felt ashamed to even look at her.

"Did you say anything to her?"

Sana's tone was even. There was no hint of anger just a justified concern.

"It must be about your in laws, no?"

Harram nodded meekly.

"I see...."

Sana held her hand and sighed.

"Some things are better forgotten, Harram. My mother has a past she doesn't like to talk about even with me. Yeah, I get it that somewhere it's associated with your in laws but how? Even I don't know. But I do know that my mother is no longer that strong. She collapses easily. That's why I always try to do what I must, which is protecting her and keeping her away from everything that causes her discomfort. It's a request that please do not bring this topic in front of her again, dear. You saw what happened today didn't you? So please..."

Harram was left with nothing to say. So a slight nod was her only answer. The doctor had come out stating it was a case of blood pressure dropping to a dangerous level. Aalee had assured him that a thorough checkup had been done today itself and so far nothing worrisome had been revealed. Being satisfied, the doctor took a leave.