26. Chess

Tumhe kis ne kaha tha?

Dopehar kay garam sooraj ki taraf daikho

Aur itni der tak daikho

Kay benai pighal jaye

(Who asked you?

To look at the scorching sun of the noon

And to look at it for so long

That your sight will melt)

Tumhe kis ne kaha tha?

Asman se tooti andhi ulajti bijliyo se

Dosti kar lo

Aur itni dosti kar lo

Kay ghar ka ghar hi jal jaye

(Who told you?

To befriend the mad lightning from the horizon

And to befriend them so much

That your whole house turn into ashes)

Even after having a fulfilling life so far, there were many things Harram Obaid hadn't yet experienced, most of which she had no desire of experiencing as well. That was before she had become Harram Zaviyar Ali. Her almost two year old married life had made her see and witness things she'd never thought of. As she looked around the courtroom commotion, Harram decided this wasn't her favourite setting but it was still better than having a fake funeral of her husband.

Yasir Athar was standing in front of the judge panel completing his arguments. He had brought forward Sheraz's death and Muskan had gone up to give her statement. Maybe it was only Harram's imagination, but the woman looked visibly conflicted. The incident from earlier was fresh in Harram's mind. She vowed to ask Muskan what was wrong after the proceeding. Yasir Athar had gone back to his seat. He had given the court a clear view of this case. Everything was out in front of everyone. It was up to judges to believe it or not. He had also quoted many past incidents of Yahya Duraid's wrong doings. It was the opposite side's turn now.

Harram eyed Mehmood Chaudhary with disdain on her face. The man was the reason she was here. He had requested the court to bring her forward as he wanted to interrogate her. The request wasn't something Yasir found unusual. He even prepared Harram for the kind of questions he thought Mehmood could ask. Still, Harram wasn't at peace. Zaviyar's constant reassurances had helped her but the fear of something going wrong was giving her constant worry.

"Impressive."

Mehmood Chauhary exclaimed sarcastically once he was given the signal to start with his defense. Harram's hand found Zaviyar immediately. He caressed her knuckles trying to sooth her. His own mind was calculating every move of Mehmood. The man had come prepared this time around.

"I request to call Safina Bibi here once again."

He was granted permission. Safina who looked on edge reached the witness box. She was under the security of Waleed and his men, the reason why she was still away from Yahya Duraid's clutches.