20. War

Dil kahan, karb e dil azari kahan?

Zalzalon ki zad mein hai kacha makaan

What about heart, what about the ache of heartbreak?

My mud house is in the midst of earth quacks

Lamha bhar kay hijar ne phela diya

Ek zamana tere mere darmiyan

A small separation

And it has caused the distance of eons between us

There comes a point in life when every known becomes bleak with the fog of uncertainty. What has happened and what is about to happen covers everything with a blanket of unsure haze. The people you've spent a lifetime with, you no longer know how to take a simple conversation with them forward. May be it is transitory or may be it stays but you really don't know how to broach something which will only open a box of agony like opening up a wound which will only bring immense pain.

Harram sat down after the call made to Hamail had ended. She was constantly playing with her fingers. There was so much they both needed to tell each other, ask from each other but the fear of breaking down into pieces while going through the memories was holding her back. She was afraid and he was also, may be. That's why he had become all silent after the beep on the phone announced the call was over.

But for how long?

He glanced at her profile and sighing, extended his palm to interlace their fingers. Harram closed her eyes at the contact. She was in a better state of mind than yesterday and the impending conversation was arriving sooner than she wanted to.

"How are feeling now?"

He asked tracing the side of her face. His touch was feather like. The same old. The tales of togetherness danced across Harram's vision.

"Better. You?"

He just smiled not retracting his hand at all and Harram didn't want him to either. The sense of familiarity had resurfaced claiming its mark on her. The feeling of strange agony was fading slowly. She was finally coming to terms with the fact that, this had actually happened. He was here. He had reached her. They were together now.

Zaviyar let his eyes wander to her whole form. From the dark circles beneath her eyes to the weight lose she must have suffered. The bump shouldn't haven been this prominent given the fact that it was her fifth month only but it was showing owning to her fragile state. These were just the physical signs. The inner pieces she must've been broken into again and again were not evident but he could see through her like always.

If he was busy in his own calculations about the time gone, she was busy doing the same. Raising her hand she ran it through his beard feeling the panes of his face underneath.

"You need to shave."

The slight mirth in her voice made his smile lightly. He himself was so used to his always trimmed look that if he'd look in a mirror he might not recognize himself.

"Your toe needs to be checked."

"I'm fine, Major. More than fine now."