𝐱

TRUCE

LOOKING BACK on it, the entire night was a blur

LOOKING BACK on it, the entire night was a blur. Enna could only make out key fragments of the disastrous night—and she wasn't even the one who was drunk. She knew three things for sure: there was a gun (brought by Quinn), a security guard was shot and killed by that same gun, and Enna was arrested.

    If you were to ask Enna, she'd say that the chaos didn't start the moment that Quinn decided to hold her past lover at gun point, but at three o'clock that afternoon when Quinn decided to start drinking again.

    It was the first case that the two of them would be working together since their big split—the one where Enna confessed that the entire relationship was just a way for her to get to the top of the charts. But both of them were training new candidates, Carley and Ashley, for the day; and despite it being such a small and insignificant case, it made Quinn's insides shake with fear and sadness. So, as alcoholics naturally do, she submerged her emotions in cheap liquor she had stolen.

    Before the group headed into the vacant museum, Enna held Quinn back from the other girls, grasping her arm tightly.

    "What do you want?" Quinn seethed, daggers where her eyes should have been. She yanked her arm away from the woman and looked at her disgustingly.

    "Truce?—just for tonight," Enna suggested with pleading eyes. She had noticed the glock in the waistband of Quinn's black Levi's, and she knew Quinn wasn't only crazy enough to bring an unauthorized weapon, but also to use said unauthorized weapon. Enna just didn't know who would be on the unfortunate end of the barrel, but she had a terrible feeling it might be her. "For yourself," she reasoned.

    Quinn scoffed, rolling her eyes and beginning to walk away from the desperate girl. "Please. You took the last shred of self respect I had."

    Enna felt a stone drop in her stomach. She had gotten herself into quite the mess, hadn't she?

⠀₊˚.

THE MUSEUM was a pale white, that burned their eyelids. The only color in the building was presented by ancient and modern paintings by artists just hoping to make a few extra dollars. Priceless statues littered the floors in promiscuous poses fashioned with fine stone from the depths of the Earth. Enna was pinched by guilt as she looked around at all of the artwork. Artists had put their blood, sweat, and tears into every piece, and there she was plotting to steal it all.

    She shook the feeling off as soon as it came.

    "Enna," Quinn said, her voice echoing off of the thin walls and high ceiling, "are you gonna lead like a true first-ranker, or stand there like a candidate?"

    Enna raised an eyebrow at Quinn, trying to keep her frustration from being released in the form of her middle finger. "Why don't you go ahead, Quinn?" she smiled, crossing her arms. "Since you're second-ranker and could use the extra practice." The girl began to walk into one of the exhibits.