𝐱𝐢

DEFENSIVE

"CAN'T SLEEP?"

"CAN'T SLEEP?"

Odessa looked up from her mug at the tall man standing in front of her. She scoffed to herself and shook her head. "Not at all, lately," she said as her eyes scanned the files and notes in front of her. "But then again, sleep isn't even an option right now—"

"You know, your brain can't function properly when running on less than seven hours of sleep," Spencer said, taking a seat next to Odessa on the couch. "You might not notice it, but your motor functions start to suffer and your entire thinking process is delayed."

She dead-panned at the genius. "That's unfortunate."

Spencer smiled to himself, noticing how sleep deprivation was etching at her emotions. "And lack of sleep causes irritability, short temper, and mood swings."

"Like I said—"

"Go to sleep, Dessa."

She glared at him with annoyance, even if the butterflies in her stomach were swarming at the sound of his lips wrapped around a new nickname—Dessa. "Don't you think I would if I could? Besides, now you're sitting here with me and getting comfortable as if you're going to stay a while..., and if I did my math correctly you've only been asleep for about three and a half hours." She raised a cocky eyebrow at him and crossed her arms over her knees.

"I never said I'm not guilty of being sleep deprived." He slightly smiled; he enjoyed being challenged by her.

Spencer stood from his place on the couch, which earned a confused look from Odessa. "Where are you going?"

"To pour myself a cup of Joe and help you with your case." He disappeared into the small kitchen.

Odessa blushed, thankful that someone was there to make everything easier. For the life of her, literally, she couldn't conjure a way to exploit the System and end them for good. Even when she went into "full fed mode" she had trouble wrapping her head around the System and how to get through. The task seemed all the more impossible, especially as revelations about the System were brought to light.

Apparently, the System's end goal was not to genuinely help out the nerdy-and-needy. That didn't come as a surprise to Odessa. But, just a day ago the team had put together unsolved crimes and crimes that they knew were committed via the System and came to a conclusion: the System has been trying to achieve a political agenda for the past decade. Odessa didn't quite understand how the pieces fit together, but something within her had an inkling, ever since she committed those unspeakable and cruel—

Spencer clapped his hands together as he took his seat on the couch. "What are we looking for?"

Odessa looked at the man, pulling herself out of the void. "Oh—um—a way to find their location; that's what—that's what I was looking for."