𝐱𝐢𝐢

HESITATION

ODESSA KEPT OCCUPIED by picking the the tiny pieces of egg out of her fried rice, frowning as she did so

ODESSA KEPT OCCUPIED by picking the the tiny pieces of egg out of her fried rice, frowning as she did so. She was frustrated: with herself, her case, and her roommate. Mostly her roommate. Yes, it was nice that Spencer was willing to wig out on his team the way he did, but Odessa couldn't help but side with Morgan on the issue. Feelings set aside, Odessa was a criminal and a damn good one. She wished Spencer could see that. But on the other hand, she wanted trust, which is exactly what he was giving her.

    "You're awfully quiet," Garcia observed, never peeling her eyes away from her screens.

    Odessa and Garcia made it a thing to eat lunch together. Odessa felt uncomfortable in the break room (still), and Garcia didn't mind Odessa in the slightest. If Odessa was concerned about double standards, than the abundant trust Garcia held in her would have bothered her, but it didn't for some reason. Why did it bother her so much that Spencer was willing to throw down for her?

    "I'm just letting you focus."

    "Honey," Garcia turned from her computer screen in her rolling desk chair. "Worry not about me. You're the newbie, and you're the one under the spotlight. Listen, if you're worried about me saying stuff to Morgan after what happened this morning—"

    "Oh, God, you know about that?!" Odessa cringed, rubbing her temples and blushing through the embarrassment.

    "That's beside the point," she cut her off. "What I'm saying is to think of me like your sister—wait, no. Sorry. Okay, just know that you can trust me, even if I'm good friends with Morgan."

    "Morgan's not the issue, Penelope," Odessa sighed, her head in her hands. "It's Spencer."

    "Oooooh," Garcia said with a smirk. "So it's problems in your love life."

    Odessa scoffed, her cheeks somehow growing even more red. "No! I—I don't have a love life," she stuttered.

    "Yet."

    "Garcia, please."

    She sighed in defeat. "Okay, what's the issue?"

    Odessa relaxed, glad that Garcia was finally going to stop embarrassing her. "He trusts me too much, and I hate it. I mean—I like it, but..." She couldn't wrap her head around her feelings and quite frankly, felt like pulling her hair out. "I don't know, I'm just scared."

    "You seem okay with the idea of me trusting you."

    "I know! That's the weird thing. Like, I want trust around here." Odessa felt like screaming out of frustration. "But something's different about him," she admitted with a sigh, leaning back in her chair and shoving a chopstick-full of rice into her mouth. She cringed as she realized she had forgotten to pick the egg out. "Help."