Chapter Nine

FIVE YEARS LATER

Twenty-two year old Harrison Germain kicked a pale grey rock across a pale grey sidewalk as he walked down the quiet streets of Queens, New York. The black and yellow lined streets were still traveled by bright taxis but at half the capacity as they had been five years ago. Harrison had gotten used to how different the city had become after it lost half its inhabitants. He could walk around without bumping into someone's shoulder or without waiting in a half an hour line for his morning caffeine. Life carried on, needless to say. The only thing Harrison hadn't gotten used to was the dull ache that had settled in his chest, reminding him every so often of the war he had survived - but lost - five years ago.

Harrison no longer lived at the Queens Orphanage. After becoming an Avenger, the remaining crew welcomed him with warm and comforting arms into one of the spare rooms at Avengers Compound. He didn't spend much time there just because he wished a special person had joined him, but it was still nice to have a bedroom and a bathroom that he didn't have to share with five or so other boys. His room was down the hallway from Natasha Romanoff and she was good company.

The sound of a phone ringing brought Harrison out of his thoughts as he dug around in his jean pocket for the source of the noise. The caller ID read 'Steve Rogers', and it was still so mind-blowing to the boy that he had Captain America in his contact list.

"Hey, Mister Rogers." Harrison said after answering his phone.

"Hey, Harry. How many times have I told you Mister Rogers makes me feel old?" Steve's deep voice rang through the other end of the phone.

"Right, sorry." The boy mumbled as he continued walking.

"Listen, I'm making lunch at home. Wanna join?"

"Sure...I'll be there soon. Thanks."

"Alright, see you soon. Bye."

"Bye."

The conversation was short-lived as Harrison ended the call, avoiding his lock screen as it popped up in front of him. It was a picture of him and Peter, decked out in their suits with grins on their faces and their arms around each others shoulders. Harrison stuffed his phone back into his pocket before ducking into a dark alleyway and removing the light backpack he was carrying. Harrison changed out of his black jeans and matching t-shirt before pulling on the new and improved version of his Inviso-Boy suit. Tony had made him a new one after returning to Earth and getting settled into reality. He said it took his mind off of everything they went through and helped pass the time. The new suit now had more blue than grey, with dark blue traveling up his arms and and legs and across his torso. There was grey streaks along his biceps and calves, and along his collarbone and chest. The mask was similar, with grey outlining the black eye slots. On the right and left wrists were two small spiders outlined in black thread, in honour of Peter.

Harrison inhaled heavily as he tapped a gloved finger to his temple and his mask formed over his head. The boy hadn't put the suit on in weeks but felt safer than ever on the inside, concealed from the world around him. He tapped the two spiders on his wrists together and watched as a silver aura formed around his fingers and forearms, extending over his entire body. The warm tingle made the boy's hair stand on edge as he claimed the identity of his superhero and left the alleyway.

The boy was invisible to the world as he ran down the middle of a quiet street, his feet not making a sound as they collided with the dark asphalt. Harrison's head was surprisingly empty of thoughts as the city of Queens flashed around him. He had gotten used to having no one to talk to while he was suited up, Peter's voice no longer lingering in his mind.