Chapter 1

Pisces was up early that evening, when the sun was high in the sky. She hopped out of her bed onto the warm stone floor, which was heated by the sunlight filtering in through openings in her roof. Her under wings looked like rips in time and space, the stars, nebulae, moons and planets floating around as she moved. 

She wondered if her parents would mind if she went to school right now. She decided it seemed like a decent idea, after all, Twilight would be there too, and by the time she got there, the sun would be setting anyways. She sighed and headed to the writing area. 

She grabbed a pen and a piece of paper, and wrote a quick note which she left on the kitchen table: 

I'm going to school early. I'll write to you every day, and you can come visit me! Love, Pisces 

"There," she sighed, reading it over to make sure it sounded good. 

The river was close by. She left the cave mouth and landed at the river near the edge of town. 

She lived in a town called Prosperity. It was peaceful and full of houses. They were made with clay and had wood planks for roofs. Prosperity was built on and around a small mountain called Hope Peak. There were lots of houses built into the cliff side, and Pisces's was one of them. 

She cleaned herself off in the water. She was so excited, her wings were shaking. After all, this was the first day of school! Pisces was going to Oly Academy, right on the border of the Moon Kingdom and the Kingdom of Stars. 

It was a long flight, over mountains and rivers and valleys and hills, and it was as tiring as it was lengthy. Near the end, Pisces's wings felt like they might fall off. She landed with a heavy thud in front of a bewildered-looking Twilight. 

"Hithereheheh..." Pisces slurred, her words mixing together as her vision clouded over with exhaustion. 

A gong rang. She shot upward and hissed. 

"What was that??"

"Attention all students," a voice rang loud and clear over the crowd of waiting wyrms. "Please come to the main hall for prepossessing." 

The crowd began murmuring softly. 

Two dragons, a female MoonWing and a male StarWing walked over to the front of the crowd. 

"My name is Shine," the MoonWing announced. 

"And I'm Aquarius," said the StarWing. 

"If you're female, come with me," Shine said, walking off down the hallway one way. She ushered everyone to follow, and Pisces was pulled away from Twilight. 

"Okay, tell me your name and you will officially be part of this school," Shine said. "I'll give you your bags and tell you what class you're in. The rest is up to you. Today is a free day." 

One by one, everyone in front of Pisces got their things and headed off. Suddenly, it was her turn. 

"Hello. What's your name?" Shine asked. 

"Pisces," she replied, biting her lip. 

"Well, Pisces," the MoonWing smiled at her. "You're in Winglet B, and here's your bag." she handed Pisces a yellow bag with a silver chain. Inside was a map of Oly Academy, a library card with her name on it (Pisces was very exited by the fact that it said "Unlimited Access Pass" on the back), a small gold key labeled "Pisces" on one side and "mail" on the other, and a notebook complete with ink and a pen. Pisces took out her map and traced a line on it with her claw. All she needed to do was follow the yellow line, and she should find her classroom. 

After a few minutes of searching, she found a room with about thirteen beds (give or take a few), each slightly different; some were lined with leaves or covered with moss, others were just shelves of rock, and still others were hammocks. Each had a name on it: Streak, Sparkle, Glimmer, Midnight, Gemini, Cepheus, Orbit, Virgo, and, finally, Pisces found her bed. 

It was a shelf of rock with a curve in it, like a bowl. It was filled with feathers, just the way Pisces liked it. She leaped into it and let her tail hang out over the side, the way she always did, and she was just about to fall asleep when she heard a noise: 

"Hello? Anyone in here?" 

Pisces answered almost automatically. "Yes. It's me- Pisces." 

"A StarWing?" the voice asked. 

"Yup," Pisces grinned. "What's your name?" 

"Oh. I'm Streak," the voice replied. "My bed's near the back."

"So is mine," Pisces smiled. "Come sit with me." 

When she came into view, Pisces realized why her name was Streak. Her under wings had a giant streak across them, as if someone had taken a tiny paintbrush to make all the planets and stars and nebulae, and then someone else bumped into them and smudged it to make a giant streak across the painting. 

"Wow," Pisces breathed. "Your wings... are beautiful."

"Thanks," Streak blushed. "No one's every said that to me before. Your wings are pretty, too," she added. 

Maybe I will make friends here, she thought, looking at the smiling wyrm in the bed across from her. She smiled back. This was going to be a good year.