10

As Ruff, Tuff, and Delta made it to the exit of the cave, a ripple of vibrations coursed through the ground beneath their paws. They froze, moods immediately dropping into dread. "Uh," Delta groaned nervously, "what was that?"

Perking her ears, Delta could hear crashing and expolding in the distance. "Hunters!" Ruffnut roared, taking to the sky. "Come on, we have to help the others!"

All three of them soared toward the sounds of war until the battle was in sight. Hiccup, Astrid, Fishlegs, and Snotlout were doing their best to take down a dozen hunter ships. Many other dragons, ones that they'd rescued in the past few months, were helping under Hiccup's command. But it wasn't enough.

"What?!" Tuff roared in shock, "where did they come from?!"

"Who cares were they came from," Ruff growled, "let's send 'em to the bottom of the ocean!" With an enormous battle roar, Ruffnut swooped down into the the chaos.

Tuffnut was about to do the same when he noticed Delta's hesitation. "What are you waiting for?" He asked a bit urgantly, "they need us!"

"You go," Delta squawked, flying in place just underneath the cloud line. "I won't be any help, I don't have a special attack."

Tuffnut flew up to Delta with a rare look of seriousness in his eyes. "But you're still a dragon," he reminded her. At these words, the tidal fury was faced with the reality of the situation. These dragons could die; she needed to do something. So she decided to give it her best shot, to protect her new family. After all, Tuffnut was right: she was a dragon, with sharp talons and sharper teeth. She'd never fought hunters before, but she had fought other dragons. Surely mere humans would be much easier to defeat.

So the two dove into the battle. Tuffnut lunged into the water with his sister. Delta watched for a moment as they circled a single ship, speeding up progressively until a whirlpool formed, sucking it completely under. Splitting off to find her friends, Delta wove through the sky full of arrows and catapults. It seemed like quite a big ordeal just to capture a few dragons. However, taking into consideration how much trouble this specific pack had caused the hunters, it made sense.

Delta landed on a ship, teeth bared and talons ready. She pelted across the wooden surface to the nearest hunter, whom was shooting odd, green-tipped arrows up at the other dragons. With a vicious growl, Delta wacked the man with her powerful tail, sending him flying overboard. And she continued to do this until the ship was free of hunters.

Once it was, Snotlout came bursting through, setting the massive hunk of wood and metal aflame. Delta was alarmed by the sudden fire, but she tried to keep it together; this was what it was like to be part of a team, to work together. So she leapt off the burning ship and began to ascend into the sky again. Once she was safely out of the reach of the arrows, Delta looked down. The ships were sinking one by one; the dragons were winning. She let out a joyous squawk before diving back into the action.

But there was one last trick up these hunters' sleeves. In the back of the armada was a much larger ship. Delta looked toward it when a new and unfamiliar screech ripped through the air. From the bigger ship, four giant dragons like she'd never seen before bursted from below deck. "Hiccup, look!" Delta squawked hopefully to the nighy fury not too far from her.

Hiccup grinned. "They freed themselves," he observed, squinting his eyes to get better look at the dragons flying their way. "I've never seen anything like them before!"

"We should get them to safety while the rest of the dragons finish off the last ships," Astrid suggested, who was also flying in place just under the clouds.

The twins came up next after making their third whirlpool. They both flew somewhat crookedly, eyes out of focus, obviously very dizzy. But their moods were as high as ever. "Now that is how you take down a fleet of no-good dragon hunters!" Tuffnut squawked triumphantly.

Delta gurgled in laughter, adrenaline pumping through her viens. But when her eyes landed on the night fury again, she frowned, for he wore a troubled expression. "Uh, they're not slowing down..!" He announced in shock.

Delta turned to see the four, strange dragons bolting toward them. Now much closer, she could hear their violent hissing and see the chaos in their eyes. Two long tusks extented from each of their bottom jaws.

"Scatter!" Astrid roared in comand. Immediately, all of the dragons in the sky went haywire. Those not part of the official team of rescuers flew back to the island for cover.

Delta's feelings of triumph quickly faded as she found herself being chased through the sky by one of the tusked dragons. "What are you doing?!" She hissed, "we're on your side! You should be attacking the hunters!"

But this dragon didn't respond. In fact, it didn't even seem to hear her. Something was definitely wrong. Delta dove into the water in attempts of ditching the dragon. Thankfully it didn't follow her, but it did find a new target. Delta watched in horror, vision slightly warped by the water, as the dragon turned to the next closest dragon rescuer: Tuffnut.

The sand wraith already had one on his tail. With two going after him, there was no way he'd make it. So Delta readied herself and burst from the water. She torpedoed straight toward the dragon that had been chasing her. She no longer cared to try reasoning it. These dragons were going to hurt her pack if she didn't do something.