12

• • •

Hiccup was in a panic as four of his friends were stung and rendered unconscious midflight. One of the death grippers picked Delta off as she fell and began to carry her back to the massive hunter ship. Then, one took Tuffnut. "No!" He roared, beginning to chase after the retreating dragons, "we can't let them get away!"

However, he was stopped by Snotlout, who flew to block the night fury's path. "Hiccup, we can't take them on!" He squawked, trying to reason with him.

"They have Delta and Tuffnut!" Hiccup growled.

"And we'll get them back," Fishlegs asserted, flying up to side with Snotlout. "But we can't go after them right now," he groaned, "we need a plan."

Hiccup didn't want to believe it, but it was true; those death grippers were too much for them to handle that day. He looked down to the unconscious females that either Snotlout and Fishlegs carried in their talons. Giving the ship one last hard look, he gave in. "I know," he growled reluctantly, then turned back toward Dragon's Edge. "Come on, let's take care of Astrid and Ruff."

The three males flew their fallen friends back to Fishlegs' garden. There, they set Astrid and Ruffnut down carefully in a soft bed of grass. Gustav, who'd been ordered to stay hidden and rest during the battle, emerged from the dramillion's den cautiously. "What happened? Is it over?" He asked nervously.

"For today," Hiccup squawked as he examined Astrid and Ruff's wounds. "Whatever those dragons doses them with knocked out quicker than dragon root," he quaked.

"Dragons?" Gustav questioned in shock, "working for dragon hunters?"

"I don't think it's by their own will...but yes," Fishlegs answered, gathering herbs to crush for the injuries.

Snotlout grunted in frustration, "we could really use some of Delta's magic spit right about now."

At this, Gustav perked up. "Hey, there's still some on my leg," he gurgled hopefully, "I mean, it's dried by now, but.." He trailed off, realizing that this probably wasn't as helpful as he originally had thought.

"Actually," the night fury exclaimed, turning to Gustav, "that might just work."

"If we mix the remaining saliva from your leg with water, it might not work as quickly, but it should at least speed up the healing process," Fishlegs explained.

"And, hopefully, counteract whatever venom they were stunned with," Hiccup added. He then looked to the larger nightmare. "Snotlout, could you get a bucket from Fishlegs' den? And Fishlegs," his gaze fell of the dramillion, "get started on that medicine."

"Wait, where are you going?" Snotlout asked Hiccup, who was getting ready to fly away.

The night fury gave his friends a serious look. "I'm going to send a terror mail," he answered, "we can't take those hunters on alone again, not with those dragons fighting for them."

"Hiccup, you don't mean.." Fishlegs trailed off.

"Oh, I do," Hiccup squawked determinedly.

"We haven't heard from them in years," Snotlout argued, smoke puffing from his nostrils, "what makes you think they'll even show?"

Hiccup sighed. "I never sent for them during the Devestation of Berk..and I regretted that every day," he reminded, "I won't make the same mistake twice."

The others fell silent as they recalled the loss of their home. Then, Hiccup was off. He flew to the thick forests on the north-west edge of the island. Spotting a small flock of terrible terrors sunning themselves in a clearing, he landed amongst them. They were immediately alert and looking toward the night fury intently.

"Hiccup, Hiccup, Hiccup," a chorus of high pitched squawks filled his ears. Terrible terrors weren't exactly the most intelligent dragons, but they were hyper. Not to mention, they had amazing memory, making messaging their prime strength.

Hiccup hushed the dragons and approached a yellow and red terror. "I need you to fly to Berserker Island," he ordered, "tell my brother we need his help."

• • •

Once Delta was finally beginning to feel like herself again after the vemon's effects, she got up. Rumaging around her small cage, she sniffed around for any possible points of escape. After quickly realizing that there was no way out, she pressed her snout to one of the openings in her bars. Delta closed her eyes and took such a deep breath in that her gills opened, as well. She was sniffing for any inkling of a scent of any other rescuers.

Nothing.

That was both relieving and hope-crushing. In one hand, the others were safe, but in the other, she and Tuff had a much lesser chance of escaping on their own. "How are we gonna get out of here, Tuff?" She wimpered helplessly, laying back down in defeat.

Tuffnut purred lightly as he scooted to lay all the way up against the wall that divided him and Delta. "Don't worry, Delta," he tried to assure her in a happy tone, "Hiccup's gonna bust through these boards before we know it."

When the tidal fury remained silent, Tuffnut reached one of his front paws out through the bars toward her cell. After a few moments, he felt her soft scales brush against his. It was a tiny connection, talon to talon, just barely noticeable. But it made the both of them feel a bit better, because at least they had each other for now.

"..I hope you're right," Delta finally squeaked.

Little did they know that Hiccup was in just as big a disaster as them. Because even when the help from Berserker Island came, he knew it wouldn't be enough. Those death grippers were ruthless, and even more dangerous without minds of their own. Delta and Tuff would have to find their own escape. Otherwise, their fates were sealed.