Chapter 27 (24th of Vashi in the year 6199)

Descist's power is great amongst the mortal realm

Descist's power is great amongst the mortal realm. While he cannot reside there, he still controls the hearts of many men.

Gods 13:6

Dusty air hung around Daphney

Dusty air hung around Daphney. Her eyes focused on the blood red pennants whipping in the breeze. They stood as a warning, displayed before the Imperial ranks camped at the base of the lightly sloping hills. The enemy hadn't advanced, but their numbers were swelling. Beyond, the cleric could view the city walls of Ishenvol jutting above the trees. Their battlements were a taunting reminder of further challenges to overcome if they succeeded upon the field of battle.

Lord Hedric's troops had wasted little time in descending upon their position just outside the capital of the westernmost providence of the Empire. They would not wait for an attack to come to them.

"Well, the good news is we're still not outnumbered," Kilan slammed his spyglass shut in his palm. "Want the bad news?"

"How about just giving me the news? With no preconceptions about it being good or bad?" Daphney chucked a slight smile in with her response. Encamped upon the high ground, she knew they were beginning to lose the advantage of numbers and didn't require Kilan to tell her that.

"We don't have enough trained soldiers to cover all the positions that need defended." Foot planted on a small boulder jutting out of the grass, Kilan rested forward on his knee. "We will have to pick our poison on this one, Miss Crenst. Some of these men are going tobe set up for slaughter."

All around her were men and women loyal to the rebellion. From a ragtag assortment of farmers who had been plowing fields only a week ago to professional and formal looking soldiers. Those included Sec Devar and his veterans from Banalr. They stood, ready and eager for battle. Even the eight hundred troops Tulea had committed were now among them.

Her smile faded with his assessment. "We could really use those Estronian forces we were promised."

"You didn't think Gwen Havarston would make good on her promise, did you? I told you before, she's a coward. If the Rebellion falls? She'll beg Lord Hedric for mercy and point out how shewasn't involved in this show of force."