A Guide To Giving Up

Nathan stared out of the window, looking over to the builders who were reinstalling the windows on the other building.

'Boss?' Sebastian called out. 'Does that work?'

'Yeh. Yeah, send them out then.'

Yesterday was boxing day. Today was Nathan's birthday. But nobody was celebrating.

As all the men piled out of the conference room, Danilo stayed. 'We will find her Nate.'

'I know. But there is a 75% chance she's already dead, and a 90% chance that if we don't find her in the next two days she will be dead by then too. So forgive me for wanting to hurry up in finding her.'

'Nate... I know this is hard. But you losing your shit isn't going to make her magically appear. You haven't slept in three days, you haven't eaten, you've hardly showered. You're not helping her.'

'What don't you understand about the fact that she was abducted? By the people out to kill me and my bloodline?'

Danilo sighed. 'Nate. Go home. See your family. I'll cover everything here, and if anything happens I will call you. Now get the fuck out of here.'

🖤

Nathan poured himself a cup of coffee whilst he waited for his toast. Takeout boxes littered the kitchen, another reminder she was gone.

His hair was still damp, the clean suit slightly sticking to his skin. Tightening the lid to his thermos he was about to head out when Izzy walked in.

'Nathan...' Her eyes were wide with astonishment, 'what happened? Has there been any news?'

'Not really. Danilo sent me home, I'm heading back now. The car was found. It had her phone and bag with it. It's being brought back to the office later.'

'Where was it found?'

'In Surrey, at some gas station. The footage shows them going in to an unmarked car, so God knows where they are. Where's mum?'

'In the Chapel. She hasn't stopped praying. The amount of candles she's light is kind of a fire hazard.' Izzy awkwardly chuckles, her voice cracking at the end.

'I'll find her Iz,' Nathan hugged his sister, 'If it's the last thing I do.'

🖤

Nathan walked back into the office just over an hour after he walked out.

'What's happened?' Louise hurries after him as he marches to his office.

'Petro has found coordinates for their weapons container, the car is having a full check up and it's being traced back now. I, um, didn't know what to do with her stuff so I, I left it on your desk.'

Nathan's throat tightened. 'Ok. Thank you.'

Walking into his office, her bag was slumped on his desk.

He approached it gingerly, almost afraid to touch it. Her phone was in there, somehow still alive and on 42%. Her lock screen was filled with notifications.

27 missed calls from Nathan💍
6 missed calls from Mami 💗
3 missed calls from Angel 🥰
2 missed Facetime calls from Sammie Gal 😎
4 messages from Lucylu😜