Chapter 10

The next morning, Celine stood on the steps of her house glancing down at her phone. She had received a text from Leila telling her to meet some of the community members at the Town Square. They were supposed to complete a special assignment given to them by Maxine. Celine shuddered as she remembered the last "assignment" she had been forced to complete. It harbored chilling memories of fear and death.

She had been unable to sleep that night, questions tangling in her thoughts like sticky webs. Who killed Stacey Callingher? And how had Maxine convinced the police that Celine wasn't the culprit? Was Maxne really that powerful?"

She looked up to find Jeffrey pedaling up their driveway on a shiny blue bike. Celine couldn't help but admire the way his mouth turned up into an innocent smile, a dimple forming on his cheek. He looked so carefree. As if he had no worries in the world.

Jeffrey stopped the bike in front of her.

"Today's your first day of assignments," he said. "So I was wondering...would you like to go with me?"

Celine silently wondered why he didn't ask about what had happened yesterday. She was supposed to still be at the police station. Or was he already accustomed to Maxine and her questionable ways?

When she didn't answer, a knowing smile formed on his face. "Or would you rather go with Ashton?"

"No," Celine said quickly. Strangely, she didn't want Jeffrey to misunderstand her relationship with Ashton. Even though it was a good way to prove that she'd gotten over him.

She checked the time on her phone. It was getting late and being tardy for the meeting might land her on Maxine's bad side. "I'll go with you."

Jeffrey blinked in surprise. "Okay." He tilted the bike toward her. "Hop on."

Celine sat behind him, unsure of where to put her hands.

"You can come closer," he said. "I don't bite."

She wrapped her hands tightly around his waist,the warmth from his back making its way through her shirt. Their close proximity made her cheeks burn. Celine shook her head. It wasn't the appropriate time to have those kinds of thoughts.

Jeffrey was about to start pedaling when she stopped him.

He looked back at her. "What is it?"

"I'm afraid I can't face anyone unless I have this question answered."

Jeffrey's eyes darkened but he quickly regained his composure. "What is it?"

"How do you think Maxine was able to convince the police officers that I wasn't the culprit. Even though I'm not the killer, it makes sense for them to question me at least once."

A bitter laugh escaped from Jeffrey's lips. "That's kind of a stupid question to ask. Who do you think reported you as the culprit in the first place?"

Celine's heart sunk as the realization dawned on her. She'd been manipulated, deluded by the evil vices of the Leader. Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead, her skin growing moist with anxiety.

"I need to get out of here."

"You can't," said Jeffrey.

A stuffy silence hung between them, hindering her ability to breath. The world spun as her head throttled with emotion. It was strange how two simple words could bring so much helplessness.

"You signed the contract so you'll be here for a while," Jeffrey continued. "Only for the next three years if you're lucky."

"No," she said, her words tumbling against each other like falling blocks. She couldn't let that happen.