Chapter 11

The car stopped in front of a wide building with white benches and a gnarly rose garden. Thick green vines flourished and curled around the words 'Community Center' which were etched into the smooth brown cement.

A large crowd had congregated in front of the building, entering through the glass doors in a single file but the air was stung cold by a deep silence.

Celine looked out the window, and forced herself not to break down. All of the townspeople seemed to have a purpose; they were the pieces of Maxine's glorious puzzle.

But where did she fit in? Could she really do this? She took a deep breath. It was better to go wherever the current chose to take you; fighting against the waves of reality only resulted in a bruised state of mind.

Jeffrey gave her a knowing glance as if he sensed her unease. His eyes calmed her, their warm depths holding an intensity that was piercing and sharp. Like a knife that cut away at a binding prison of ropes and ivy. Celine felt her heart flutter. Did you have to trust someone to be comforted by their presence?

Ashton parked in front of the community center and the four of them exited the car. They inhaled the tangy scent of oranges and lemons mixed with the innocent sweetness of flowers.

Tree branches bent down, heavy with their burdens as if sacrificing their offspring to the depths of the ground and spoiled fruit lay at the feet of their trunks, a reminder that death was not far away from the vibrancy of life.

"Let's go," said Elliot. "We might lose a finger for every second we're late."

Jeffrey grinned. "That's a good attitude. It's always best to be punctual."

The two of them hurried to the building.

Celine followed Elliot and Jeffrey to the entrance when she felt a hand grab her wrist.

She turned around to find that it was Ashton. A vulnerable  expression had washed over his usually stoic features, an expression Celine had never seen before.

"We need to talk."

His words sliced through her. This was not what she wanted to deal with right now.

"About what?"

Ashton let go of her wrist. "Why are you doing this? Why have you been avoiding me?"

"Because I don't trust you," Celine replied. She thought that was obvious. Especially after everything he had put her through.

"But you don't trust Jeffrey either." Ashton looked triumphant, as if he had found something she couldn't  disagree with.

Celine considered his words for a moment. It was true that she didn't trust Jeffrey. But he was the closest to being honest. Her friendship with Ashton had been built on nothing but lies. Even the event of them meeting each other had been set up. He had inserted himself in her life, the final stone that would plummet her to rock bottom. And there was no way to escape.

"We should start over," Ashton continued. "And forget about everything that's happened so far; only focus on the future."

"But there's nothing to start over," said Celine. "It's not like we were ever in a relationship."

Ashton took a step closer and grasped her hand. "I like you Celine. I might have made a few mistakes, but---"

"You're insane." Her voice caught in the wind and traveled across the now empty parking lot. "You're completely insane." Her lips trembled but she managed to keep herself calm.

A flicker of surprise traveled across Ashton's face before quickly disappearing. His blue eyes turned hard and cold, as he stared at her.

Seconds ticked by and neither of them moved. It was as if they were stuck in a bubble of time that was yet to be broken. Only their steady breaths could be heard in the stark silence.