kollege krush / every kind of way (part 2)

Knowing well enough that the auditorium would be packed with a mob of students, Karlie made herself wake up a little earlier than usual, hoping that she would get a glimpse of the blue-eyed girl. Running through the corridor full of bloodshot eyes and empty faces, Karlie's energetic and fired-up charisma seemed very unfitting to the mood of the university a week before midterms were to commence. Karlie received a fair share of confused looks, but she paid them no mind. But actually, thinking about it, the green-eyed girl seemed far too excited for a 1 in 1000 chance of crossing paths with the blonde. But then again, there's no harm in having hope, even in the thinnest of forms. It's been a while since the green-eyed girl had a bounce in her step. After breaking up with her boyfriend of 3 years, she's grown to accept her incapability of falling in love, or love in general. So for the feeling of butterflies fluttering against her insides– a feeling that has been absent for so long– she's giving this her all, desperate to once again feel like a giddy highschool girl, and having something to obsess over. Something to talk about at 3am with her mom. Something she'd gush over during a night out with friends. Something that would make her all giddy and cheerful in the mundane and boredom of early hours. Oh, well that's a lot to expect from a 20 second encounter, but Karlie's life has been far too monotone for her to care about the unlikely chances.

If anything, the magnitude of her crush had only multiplied in size. It is rather odd, but Karlie couldn't help but feel a warm fuzz in her heart after the short and wholesome encounter. Besides, the blue-eyed girl was cute, so at least that eliminates the possibility of the girl being a serial killer. Well, she could still possibly be a, cereal killer, though. Haha.

Taking a seat at the top of the endless rows of chairs, Karlie figured this would be a good vantage point to spot the girl in the midst of the crowd of students. She realized that there were only about 5 other students in the lecture hall, other than herself, which was reasonable at this hour. It was rare to see a lecture hall buzzing an hour before the lesson were to commence. Karlie was never one to enjoy silence, so she popped her earphones in and put her playlist on shuffle, before typing away on her keyboard, hoping that she could at least be productive in the time she had before the blonde would eventually— she means hopefully, turn up.

After a rather breezy 30 minutes, students came flooding into the hall one after another; backpacks slung behind their shoulders and books clutched against their chest. Karlie kept her gaze concentrated, trying to spot a familiar mop of blonde hair and electric blue eyes— to no avail. She sighed and sunk into her seat, before putting her head in her hands. How did she let her hopes get the best of her like this. She used to praise herself for her self-control– she could say no for a cookie when she was on her diet. She could say no to persistent salesmen at the mall, and she could definitely say no to the men trying to hit on her whenever she was out for some drinks with her peers– but she simply could not say no to spiraling down a fountain of feelings, free-falling into an erratic pool full of words left unsaid, and emotions Karlie didn't really want to address. The green-eyed girl sighed and glanced over to her totebag, a messy wire of the girl's charger sticking out. She let out another dejected sigh and pursed her lips.

'That poor girl isn't going to get her charger back and it's all my fault.'  Karlie thought to herself.

All this fuss about crushing on the girl and dwelling with her lack of self control had almost made Karlie forget why she wanted to see the mystery girl again in the first place. Karlie had remembered the words that had been spoken throughout the exchange. She wondered how the blonde was coping with the absence of something she labelled so important. Karlie felt terrible to be the one to break their unspoken promise, and add another weight on the other undergraduate student's shoulder. Living without a charger and it being a week before midterms is just adding salt to the wound.