Chapter 4

We all got out of Claire's Mercedez and I stared up at the construction workers who were working on the towering walls, then I looked at Owen who looked unconvinced and a little uneasy and honestly I'm feeling a little uneasy myself.

"We've been pre-booking tickets for months. The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest. Kind of like the space program." Claire explained.

"This is nothing like the space program." I muttered and Owen nudged me in the arm. "What?" I whispered.

We walk over to a flight of steps leading up to the observation tower.

"Corporate felt genetic modification would up the "wow" factor," Claire said.

"They're dinosaurs. 'Wow' enough." I said which caused Owen to nudge me again and claire to glare at me.

"Not according to our focus groups. The Indominus Rex makes us relevant again." Claire said smirking.

"The Indominus rex!" He said chuckling with a huge grin on his face.

"We needed something scary and easy to pronounce. You should hear a four-year-old try to say "Archaeornithomimus." Claire said.

"You should hear you try to say it.." Owen said frowning. I let out a chuckle and Claire glared at me. I rolled my eyes and just continued walking.

We entered the observation room and a security guy is sitting at his desk. He must be on his lunch break because he is munching down on his sandwich. Besides us, he's the only one here.

"I want a sandwich." I whispered.

Owen and I walked over to one of the windows.

"I don't see any dinosaurs, just trees," I said sarcastically.

"Stop, youre gonna get us in trouble," Owen whispered to me clearly annoyed by all my comments.

"What's this thing made of...?" Owen asked curiously.

"The base genome is a T. rex, the rest is classified." She said while she did some weird thing with her hair.

"You made a new dinosaur but you don't even know what it is?" He asked dubiously.

"The lab delivers us new assets and we show them to the public. Can we drop a steer please?" She asked the guy. She's already annoyed with the questioning.

The annoyed worker with the sandwich presses a button.

"How long has the animal been in here?" Owen asked not relenting.

"All its life," Claire answered simply.

"Never seen anything outside of these walls?" Owen questioned.

"We can't exactly walk it," Claire said with a boatload of sass.

I hear a rumbling noise outside and then a huge crane lowers a hunk of beef down from above, "And you feed it with that?" Owen asked.

"Is there a problem?" Claire asked annoyed. 

"Animals raised in isolation aren't always the most functional," Owen explained.

"Your raptors were born in captivity..." Claire said.

"With siblings. They learned social skills. And I imprint on them when they're born. There's trust. The only positive relationship this animal has is with that crane. At least she knows that means food." Owen explained seeming increasingly concerned, but Claire doesn't get it.

"So she needs a friend? We should schedule playdates? That sort of thing?" She asked sarcastically.

"Probably not a good idea," Owen said darkly, his tone changed so much in the past ten seconds that it's making me really worried.