Chapter 1: All grown up.

It's been two years since I started at Oakeland University, and its been going smoothly aside from constantly bumping heads with Tez over us not having time for each other. My phone vibrates from the bathroom counter and I answer it.

"Hey momma!" I exclaim brushing my teeth to get the bitter taste of kool-aid gone wrong out of my mouth.

"Are we still on for dinner today?"she asks. "It's been almost a year since I last visited, we've both been busy huh?"

I spit. "Of course we're still on mom, how could I pass up seeing my mother?"

She claps and blows me kisses through the phone. After she hangs up, I pull on a nice comfortable outfit and coat for the chilly weather. I've learned a lot over this school year alone. Hopefully, she recognizes me still. I grab my car keys and head down to my car. The dorm hallways aren't as packed and it's easier to move around at this time. I unlock my car door and get in. Tez can't come with me today because of her exams, but mom is planning a date with her next week. I pull up to the diner and get out of the car fixing myself.

Mother is sitting at the counter alone, she looks anxious and she spots me as I walk into the restaurant. Her eyes widen at the sight of me, and she looks me up and down in awe.

"My goodness Jahturi

"My goodness Jahturi.. " She hugs me. "You've grown so much. You look so different, when did you get so old?"

"I actually don't know" I laugh.

I have on makeup even though I rarely wear it. I was going out with Tez later tonight so I wanted to look good.

My braces were taken out last year, and I've been way more confident. She studies my face with tears in her eyes.

"My baby really has grown up on me. You're almost able to get a drink. Come October, we're going to a bar"she states.

We burst out into laughter as the awkward scene of my drunken mom dancing at a club flashes through my mind.

"I'll pass. "

A waiter brings us champagne before eyeing me suspiciously. I probably don't look my age but I sip the drink smirking at her. She stalks away with a clear attitude and I smile to myself. My mother takes my hands into hers and stares at me childishly. Looking out of the window, I spot Tez in the drive thru at Murray's. I thought she had exams. My eyes fall onto the car, and scan into the passenger seat. Mother interrupts my thoughts.

"So tell me about school, how is it? How were exams? How are you and Tez holding up?" she rampages.

"School is school, im maintaining that 4.0. Exams were a legit breeze and we are.. " I trail off talking around the question I knew she truly meant to ask. "We're good. "

She nods in a disappointed manner.

"College can do that to ya. " Her baby like hands rub under my chin. "It'll be alright."