Chapter 7: Questions

4 months ago

"I don't believe she has schizophrenia, she doesn't cause harm to herself, she knows what she's seeing isn't real, the hallucinations and depression could all be from her losing someone she loved so much. This is normal sometimes, and in some cases,  death can most definitely trigger the symptoms of schizophrenia." Jacqueline whispers to Asia outside of the office.

"So what do we do?" Asia questions.

Tez stands before me, she fidgets with the pens that have made a home out of the mug on Jacqueline's desk. I sigh with disinterest and her head snaps back at me.

"What hm? Am I not cool enough for you anymore?"

"Nope. Not at all" I say on the verge of a yawn.

"Oh yea? Well I can give you things. Really, really, really,  helpful things."

"yea. I'm ready to go back to normal, and if therapy is going to help me stop seeing you, then I'm all for it."

"Wrong answer."

She takes a pen and stabs it into my arm, digging it inside and ripping all the way up to my wrist. I scream in agony,  with tears in my eyes as I stare down at the long cut that now laces my arm. Asia rushes to my side and screams for Jacqueline to get help. The blood splatters onto the floor and it comes out particularly quickly. The room starts to fade and the last thing I see, is the silhouette of Tez standing over me laughing.

"Help is on the way.. " Asia whispers.

1 week later

I wake up in a room painted perfectly all white. After attempting to sit up, I realize that I'm strapped to a bed, and that this is no longer the hospital I was at the night before. I try sitting up but can't because of the brown straps restraining my movement. The walls are cushioned and appear to protrude out towards me. The door opens and a woman with ginger hair strolls in. She's holding a clip board with a soft smile on her face. Two men accompany her, and they step on either side of me. Taking my restraints off, they step away to give me room. I sit up and back away from them.

"Wh-who are you?" I question the woman.

She nods for the men to leave,  and they do. The woman glides closer to my bed, easing slowly,  not to to alarm me.

"Hey. hey. It's okay,  I'm not going to hurt you." She states "I'm Nurse Elisabeth. Do you know where you are?"

"N-no" I stutter.

She sits on the edge of the bed glancing at her watch,  then up at me.

"You're at Oakeland County Mental asylum. Does that ring a bell? "

My stomach churns as she says this, and I feel it sink into my legs. I close my eyes trying to stay strong, knowing this is best for me. I nod and she smiles. She pulls out an ink pen from the front pocket of her pantsuit.

"So tell me, how are you feeling today?"

"I feel... Tired" I admit. My voice comes out raspy and surprises me.

"Tired how? Mentally or physically?"

"A.. A little bit of both."

She scribbles onto the paper that's attached to her clipboard as I speak. I stand up, my legs wobbling and weak. My ankles and bones crack as I make a journey to the glass of water on a desk across the room. I lift the clear glass with a shaky hand, and I notice crushed up pills dissolving at the bottom of it. I sit it back down and swallow with the dryness in my throat.