22장

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Mark was confused. Very confused. 

For the past days, Mari has been ignoring his calls and left all of his texts on read. When he dropped by her house at night, she wouldn't open the door and he was genuinely worried about his girlfriend. It did take him long to find out, that Mari has been put under Hiatus, by her company.

The day, his manager came up to him and told him, that Ahn Mari's promotions were put on halt and her release of Dark Clouds, a song he featured in, has been delayed; Mark was alerted. Something must've happened in Blue Soda Entertainment. Something that cost Mari her career.

In fact, it took him long to ask Jisung about what Ahn Mari was up to. And once the Maknae told him, that Mari was put on rest by her company and even posted an apology letter. "An apology letter?" Mark has asked and Jisung had nodded, his sound sad. "She was involved in a dating rumor and people weren't saying nice things to her."

When Mark heard this, he felt bad. He told her not to say anything about their relationship. But her company must've found out. 

Mark decided to drive back to Mari's house tonight. He wanted to know what's up. And he wanted to know why she kept ignoring him.

― 💌 ―

Mark's plan was easier said than done. He stood in front of Mari's apartment — dressed in a big black coat, hat and mask, ringing the doorbell for the third time. He knew Mari was inside, he could hear music from the inside. "Mari, open the door!" He called out loud, banging his fist against the door. 

"Talk to me!" He yelled once more. He finally heard shuffling noises and the beeping sound of the door and finally saw the face of his girlfriend after what felt like an eternity.

But what he saw, scared him. Mari had dark circles under her eyes and her usually chubby face had lost a lot of weight. She was dressed in an oversized black hoodie and some sweats. Her big brown eyes stared at him and she pressed her lips together while stepping aside to let him enter the flat.

The flat was chaotic. It hadn't been cleaned properly and there were clothes, and boxes of fast food piling up in her kitchen. Her television was turned on and Idol news was broadcasting. 

"Why did you ignore me?" Mark asked and put off his mascarade. He looked at Mari, that hid her hands in the sleeves of her hoodie. She didn't say a word. "Mari, answer me!" He demanded and Mari looked up.

"Let's break-up," she said and looked Mark dead in the eye. 

Mark stared at her with widened eyes. "What are you saying!" He yelled and threw his arms in the air. "You understood me, Mark." - "I want an explanation, Mari!" He said and held her arms. She bit her lip and pushed his arms off her. "I am breaking- I am..." Tears were filling her eyes and she quickly wiped her face with her sleeves. 

"Don't you dare to break up with me", Mark threatened and threw his hands in his hair. Mari looked down. "I don't have a chance, Mark", she said. "Before you break up with me", he started and lead Mari to the couch. "Tell me what happened, otherwise I won't let you break up with me."

"My company found our box of condoms, while I was in Canada. They called me in for a meeting and found out about us dating. They canceled all my schedules and quit my contract with the Basket Case Foundation. They delayed our song and will cancel it as well." Mari blurted out. "I couldn't even defend myself. My company was so strict. Taecyeon-sshi was so mean. He is usually a nice CEO but that day he was scary."

Tears spilled over Mari's cheeks and she stared at him with big eyes. "I shouldn't have become an Idol", she confessed. "I should've just forgot about you back in the day and continue to be a normal girl and not become an Idol. I should've stayed in Canada—" 

Mari couldn't finish her sentence, as Mark had pulled her in a bone-crushing hug. "I am so sorry", he mumbled while carefully stroking Mari's back. The girl held tight onto Mark's body — missing the smell of his cologne and the warmth of his broad form.

"I should've protected you from this", Mark said feeling horrible. "I should've been there for you." He continued to mumble. 

They sat like that for quite some time. Both of them quietly enjoying each other's embrace. 

"I'm going to confess to my company. Maybe we can find a solution to this." Mark looked at Mari's face. "Without us having to break up," Mark said and gently pressed his lips on to Mari's.

Mari melted in Mark's arms. She never wanted to break up with him. She was finally reunited with him, in the best way possible. She loved him. She really loved him. 

― 💌 ―

Mark stood in front of Lee Soo Man's office, MC Ari next to him. "I can't believe you kids are always dragging me into your messy love stories." The manager sighed but Mark ignored him and confidently knocked on the door.

"Come in", the CEO's voice called out and Mark stepped inside. "Good evening, sir" Mark greeted with a bow and MC Ari bowed as well. Lee Soo Man looked at Mark and Ari and sighed. "Please don't tell me you're dating!" The CEO said and Mark perked up. 

"I'm sorry, but this is exactly what I came to confess for, Sir," Mark said confidently and Mr. Lee pursed his lips. "Let me guess", the CEO spoke and stood up from his desk. Lee Soo Man walked over to the window and looked over the skyline of Seoul. "Has it something to do with the dating scandal from Ahn Mari?" The CEO asked and Mark nodded.

"Yes, Sir. Ahn Mari has been an old childhood friend from Canada and I fell in love with her a few months back. We're in a happy relationship." - "Your confidence is out of this world, Mark Lee." Mr. Lee said and asked Mark to sit down on the chair opposite of him. 

"So tell me, what you want from me", the CEO said and sat down on his chair, looking Mark straight in the eye.