Chapter Two

° JIMIN °

It was a sunny afternoon at the park, with not much people hanging around, considering the heat nowadays can be a total threat

It was a sunny afternoon at the park, with not much people hanging around, considering the heat nowadays can be a total threat. But fortunately the sunlight was at the perfect angle and caused the trees' shadows to shade our skateboarding area just about right. Birds of many kinds moved across the park, and only their chirps and some cars' engines can be heard. It was quiet, peaceful, perfect for a hangout with your buddies.

Vince was on the roll, trying a few tricks here and there. I began skating three years before he did, and now was my tenth year. Pretty much considering myself as a "pro," I decided to teach him new stunts he'd never tried before. Well, he just got back at skateboarding anyway. Two years ago, he got into a serious motorcycle accident and fractured his legs and ribs. This year, because of my successful suggestions, I convinced him to give skateboarding a try once again.

My other friend, James, was also here. We learned how to skate about the same time since we had the same teacher, Von, the town's veteran. I didn't know why I was thinking about this too much. I mean, skateboarding wasn't really even that much of a big deal to me. It was just a hobby of mine which I really liked; not really something that I'd pursue when I got older. I actually preferred dancing.

"Might need to keep an eye on Matthew." I slightly winced at the name. It was upsetting how unfamiliar it was to my ears. I rarely heard that!

"I prefer to call him by just Vince," I said. "Matthew sounds really like an old pastor or something." James chuckled at my joke, his crooked teeth slightly showing.

"I gotta gow now, man," he said, apologetically. "My girlfriend told me to come home early, I really need to do the dishes that are still waiting for me in the sink since last night. She's going to whoop my ass for sure."

That made me laugh a little. I just remembered that one time when mom and dad were out of town, and they gave me all these responsibilities. Which I failed to fulfill. Because I was too lazy to do so. And sure enough, when they got home and saw the messy living room—plates and pillows everywhere—they literally grounded me for a month. Well, it was good for me though because I got to experience things in our farm, and every weekend I went fishing with dad.

"Alright, alright." I patted his shoulder. My palm became a little wet when I did, since his plain white shirt was disgustingly soaked with sweat. "Go off now, I don't really like seeing your face anyway."

He laughed as he stood up, brushing off dirt from his pants. Putting his skateboard in position, he readied his foot on top. "Bye dude. Bye Vince!"

Personally, when I had nothing else to do or when I felt bored, I liked to observe random things until they disappeared from my sight (or mostly when someone interrupted me). And so as James rode away on his emerald-colored skateboard, I observed his figure getting tinier and tinier, until he turned to a corner. My eyes stayed the same, looking at the direction with no specific target to gaze upon; just spacing out.