Chapter Twenty

° JIMIN °

I had neither texted nor called Jane today

I had neither texted nor called Jane today. But it was for a good reason. I received a few texts from her this morning, and I only decided to leave it on read. Her cute, yet sad texts and emojis were irresistible, even more when I imagined her pouty lips. Fortunately, I managed to get a hold of myself before I could even ruin the whole plan.

"Stop daydreaming dude," Matthew interrupted, bringing me back to full consciousness. I made a face as I raised an eyebrow.

"I am not daydreaming, Matt," I scoffed, snickering right after. "I am just thinking what else I could improve or add to the surprise-slash-celebration."

As expected, one side of his lips tugged upwards, forming into a teasing smirk which I badly wanted to rip off from his face. Rolling my eyes, I began to drink my coffee that'd been sitting on the table, untouched ever since the waitress placed it. I heard Matthew saying something to me but I was far too focused to even catch a single word of what he was saying. Well, I never really knew something like this could get me somewhat busy, or perhaps, stressed. The moment I woke up all that occupied my mind was how to surprise Jane, though at the back of my mind something was saying I really didn't have to be so extra.

"But you've been planning for the past couple days," Matthew said. I stared at him, thinking that he wasn't wrong at all. "Asking me things like which gift is more memorable, this one or that one. You're kinda whipped, and I, as your best friend, understand. It's just. . . funny."

I heaved a sigh. "She's my friend so I have to do something. . ." I trailed off, seeing Matthew's unconvinced face. He seemed like he wasn't having any of my reasons, and I wanted to make him believe, but I couldn't. I gritted my teeth as soon as I realized I had no valid excuses to make up for this. "D-don't even start, Matt—"

"You've never been this thrilled to surprise anyone, Rain." His smug smile was still there, provoking me. Between the two of us, I was actually the one who usually dominated whenever we teased each other. But as of now, I was out of words; all choked up and reluctant. "Yeah I get it, you buy us cakes and gifts but you're not as nervous, I guess? But seeing you right now, you're looking like you're about to fill buckets of sweat. So tense, dude. Relax, no one's going to steal your girl away from you."

My insides churned after the last sentence. "I don't have feelings for her," I said. Well, as far as I knew or felt, she was merely a very good friend of mine and that was really all about it. Yet again, Matthew looked doubtful. Instinctively, I became a little too defensive. "Dude, she's just a friend. I. . . I honestly don't know what you're talking about. How could I even fall for someone I hadn't known for a year? And plus, I'm still moving on from Lea."

My heart dropped as I mentioned the name. The bitterness crawled on my tongue as soon as Lea's name slipped out of my mouth. In fact, she was the one I still had feelings for. Nothing had changed ever since I stopped pursuing her, except that I had more time for myself and for my friends. Instead of paying her a visit at her house almost every afternoon, I would go to the studio to practice another choreography with my team. If not, Matthew and I would skate just like the good old days. After that, we would most likely stop by at Avery's to check on Jane and Sana or go home straight away.