Wicked [ Male!Maleficent x Reader] Part III

(Y/n) opened up her eyes. It was peculiar to wake in different surroundings, since for a moment the previous night was still a faded memory swirling in her head. Once she rubbed the sleep from her eyes and yawned breathlessly, she remembered it all. 

The room she lay in was more like a cavern than a room, although it had the makings of several homely touches. The bed that she lay on was made primarily of hay, but was made comfortable by the cotton blanket spread over her and the fluffed pillow tucked neatly under her head. She realised that it was actually quite nippy and reached forwards to try to draw the blanket higher over her exposed shoulders when she saw two pinprick eyes scanning over her in the darkness. Without warning, the man jumped up - but a knife was in his hand! A knife with something that looked like blood oozing down the sharp blade. She screamed and leapt up, throwing the blanket at the man. He tried to shout something but before he could, she was slamming the pillow into his head. Repeatedly. The force knocked him down as the strangled yell escaped his throat. The sound was raw and shrill - like a raven's cry.

Then a door unbolted with a shriek of the rusty metal hinges. All motion in the room was arrested - (Y/n) frozen with her pillow mid-smack while the man cowered -  as a second figure appeared in her line of sight. Her breath laboured.

"Stop it." Maleficent commanded, "Put it down."

She opened her mouth to protest, "But he has a knife - "

The dark glare that he presented her with silenced her protest. She dropped the pillow with a distasteful throw and crossed her arms moodily over her chest, glaring at the dark, mystique figure of Maleficent that made a surprising warmth rise in her cheeks. Dark green eyes blazing, he connected their gazes and (Y/n) felt her stomach flip - there were flecks of gold in his eyes! Bristling, she dropped her glare and mumbled darkly under her breath or at least she tried to because all she could think of were the curve of his eyes beneath his strong, sturdy brow that made his green eyes pop out like ultraviolet rays in a dark universe.

"This is Diaval." Maleficent gestured with an easy flick of his head, indicating the dark-haired man that seemed to be muttering under his breath as if he was squawking furiously, "He's -"

(Y/n) furrowed her brows dubiously, "Your minion?"

"Minion?" Diaval spluttered while pacing forwards until he was nearly towering over the fairy, "You rude little female! I'm not a minion - I am a companion! A confidante! His cohort - friend - chum!"

Maleficent cleared his throat, "Diaval."

The fairy had retreated to directly in front of Maleficent, her spine brushing against the flat planes of his chest. She didn't have time to register how this might be considered awkward because of the fine tremors quaking up her arms and knees. 

There was a palm on her shoulder that gently pushed her out of the warlock's arms.

"Diaval is a familiar of sorts." Maleficent explained.

"Oh." She said in understanding, swivelling her eyes at the man in question, "That explains things."

Diaval himself looked conflicted, as if he wasn't sure whether to be upset or flattered, "What did you call me?"

"Warlocks have animal guides - toads, cats." The woman explained, glancing at Maleficent for approval. "You're his spirit guide."

The man seemed to puff out his chest, looking smug.

"Well, I do help him make his important decisions." Diaval announced, "And do all sorts of important things for the master. The master would be lost without me."

Maleficent cleared his throat, not sounding impressed.

Diaval flinched.

"Why don't you demonstrate that by tending to breakfast, Diaval?" Maleficent stated, "And, please, no worms this time."

The man nodded hurriedly and swept out of the doorway.

"Well," She remarked, "He seems - clingy."

This brought a half-smile to his lips.

"I saved him from a farmer once," Maleficent considered, "He was going to be beaten to death, if it wasn't for me. He's been the most loyal servant I've ever had." 

A thoughtful expression crossed her face. She was very clearly hard at thought, her mind tinkering away, since she bit her lip. After taking a moment to contemplate what she was going to say, she turned to him. Her cheeks were faintly pink.

"You saved my life, too." (Y/n) stated, "So, if that raven can show you such loyalty, so will I. I'll do anything you need me to do, no questions asked and no strings attached." 

Maleficent deliberated. 

"I don't need anything from you, (Y/n)." The warlock replied with a deep, compelling voice. It amused him to see how she reddened at the sound of her name on his tongue. While he wasn't entirely a bad fairy - not being a very good one either - he did like to make her blush. 

"(Y/n)." He purred and she grew even redder. "How are you going to make it up to me?" 

She was at a loss for words. 

"Urhm, I could make you dinner?" The fairy posed hopefully. 

The warlock enjoyed watching her fumble and struggle, all vulnerable and flustered with a rosy blush painted on her cheeks. The fairy had interested him since he had spotted her in the house with Aurora's foolish caretakers - and he just couldn't take his mind off of her. 

"I am a warlock." He muttered disinterestedly, "I can fabricate any food or sustenance I wish for with only a few whispered words. I require something worthwhile if I am to take you under my wing and teach you my ways." 

The fairy seemed disheartened. Sagging defeatedly, her posture drooped as she scratched her red cheeks. This whole "good fairy" thing was disorienting for her; she had never needed to do good things when she was a dark-fairy, so she never learned what actually constituted as "something nice". What would she want, if she was in his shoes? That thread of thought made her jolt with an idea, a spreading concept glowing in her eyes. 

"Yes?" Maleficent posed, a dark eyebrow raised. 

"I can offer you something that no one else can give you, Maleficent." (Y/n) divulged, "Something that every dark-fairy wishes for, but for which they never ask." 

Maleficent furrowed his brows in question. "And what is this rare entity?" 

Shyly, she glanced up at him.

"I can be - " She had to steady her anxious voice, "I can be your friend." 

"My friend?" Maleficent repeated incredulously, "Why would I need a friend?" 

Taking a deep sigh, while trying desperately to calm her quivering heart, she stepped towards him. Copying the little beast, she tentatively reached out and grasped his hand. His muscles became tense and the oddest tautness absorbed his face, yet he didn't try to move away. 

"So that you're not alone." (Y/n) gazed up at him. 

When Maleficent met her gaze, his heart started to pound faster. 

- - -