Atlantis [Male! Kida x Reader] Part II

Part II - Beyond the Great Gates of the World

Riveted, staring into the bloodred pools of the perilous eyes of the Leviathan, I could do nothing. It was a naked feeling - as if my body was burning away, leaving but a single strand of soul to be gobbled up by the ancient heretic beast. Something was burning within me. 

The feeling rose and rose until a shrill laugh escaped me as I gestured to the beast on fawn's legs, braying with a weak sort of laugher. 

"You see?" I cried victoriously, "You see? I told you that the Leviathan -" 

I then promptly fainted. 

I awoke with a throbbing pain at my temple, groaning being the first words that I had uttered from my parched throat. A light was shone into my eyes for a moment, blinding me temporarily, while I tried to get my bearings. There was a chill in the air - and the iron tang of blood on the wind.

"Here," Someone pried open my palm and folded my fingers around something small and powdery, "Take this. It'll help the pain." 

Once my vision cleared of the torch-induced brilliance, I could see who it was. A tall, ebony-skinned man with a bright smile. Though he was clearly straining to keep it upright. He helped to ease me up from my position (prostrate in a sleeping bag) and helped to steady my trembling hands as I tried to swallow the water through my dry throat. He must have been a saint because he didn't even laugh when I spilt half of it down my chest. 

It took me a moment to realise that we weren't on the ship anymore. A moment more to realise that wasn't a good thing. 

I was hesitant to ask, "What happened with the - the creature?" 

The man sighed, folding bundles of gauze and bandages, "There were casualties when the ship sank. At least half of the crew  -"

My eyebrows rose, "The ship sank?"

"You were right about that - that monster," The Doctor's lips crinkled in distaste, "It was unnatural, perverse. Nothing we did could curb the strength of the beast: no weapon great enough to destroy it," He sighed, "We did what was inevitable - we had to abandon ship." 

"But - but how?" My hand cradled my head, dizzy spots dancing in my vision. 

The Doctor dismissed my questions with a stern expression, "There's no time for that now. You musn't overexert yourself. The trauma itself is scarring," The austerity of his features ebbed with a more-familiar smile, "Besides, you have a visitor."

The curtain at the mouth of the tent rippled as a hand reached in and drew it gingerly aside, seeming to hesitate for a moment before a head peeked inside. Though my vision was still slightly foggy from his torch, I recognised him instantly. 

The tense male suddenly took a relieved sigh, "Oh, thank goodness. I was worried that you were still unconscious." 

Milo navigated through the tent awkwardly, somehow managing to nearly trip several times. At a distance he considered appropriate, he kneeled beside me and smiled in a friendly manner. I felt a reflexive smile being pulled across my own lips, despite my embarrassment. 

"No," I said sheepishly, "I'm fine." 

Doc cut me off, "You're suffering with a mild concussion, so my prognosis is - " 

"I'm fine," I said hastily, "Really." 

Dr Joshua Strongbear just gave me a crisp look and packed up his toolkit, slinging it over his back with a practised grace that suggested military training. Then, with terse instructions not to allow me to walk on my own, said that he was going to help pack up the campsite.