Chapter 1: An Old Man's Failure

Quick note:

I would like to give credit to J.T. Machinima. I used one of his lyrics from his fan-made song Can't Be Erased.

"I can't believe you're going to college already! Are you ready?" I asked Ashley. 

"More ready than ever. But, I worry about Uncle Joey. His condition has worsened." Ashley said softly. 

"Condition?" 

"Uncle Joey has dementia. It's gotten worse in the past couple of weeks." 

"I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Joey gets better. It comes with age." I assured Ashley.

"You're right, I can't spend all my time worrying about Uncle Joey. Would you like some tea?" I nodded in response. 

Ashley headed to the kitchen to prepare my tea. I walked into the living room. The walls had faded Bendy posters, a corkboard with letters and bills, and a shelf with items. A desk near the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. The desk used to have drawings of Bendy. Joey would sit around for hours drawing Bendy. At least that's what Ashley has told me. And of course the couch and the TV. I glanced across the corkboard reading Joey's ex-employees' letters. A small note stuck to the back of a letter. I pulled it off and a string of ink came with it. The note read:

Remember to write a note to Henry

"You never stop don't you?" Ashley handed me my cup of tea. 

"What can I say? I'm a curious soul." I sipped my cup of tea. The warm aroma comforted my nose. I held up the note to read it again. It didn't look faded or anything. The ink looked relatively new compared to the other papers on the corkboard. Why would he need to write a note to my Dad if he's dead? Ashley did tell me Joey has dementia. Poor Joey. 

"Lillian! What a surprise!" Joey exclaimed pushing his wheelchair down the hall. 

"Uncle Joey, you need your rest. Remember what the doctor-" 

"Doctors just assume all old people who tell unbelievable stories are lunatics! They just want to rob you of all your money! Scammers! Liars!" Joey yelled. 

Silence filled the room. I have never heard Joey raise his voice to anyone. Especially Ashley.  

"My father is going to pick me up soon for my college tour. But, we can't leave Uncle Joey alone." Ashley said. 

We were supposed to go together. We had been planning for months. I looked over to Joey. He started at the shelf on the other side of the room. He reached over to grab a Bendy doll. I always thought it was strange he had a Bendy doll, his book The Illusion of Living, a rusty gear, and a wrench. 

"I'll stay with him. He hasn't seen me in a while. He looks like he needs to vent." I replied. 

"Really? I know you wanted to come." 

"I insist." Ashley smiled with relief. A second later instantly frowning. 

"Under one condition." Ashley leaned close to my ear.

*   *   *

Ashley's father arrived. We exchanged our greetings and goodbyes. "Have fun but not too much fun." I winked. Ashley laughed. 

"Stop it, you. Remember what I said. Take it seriously." Ashley hugged me tightly. I could feel her every emotion in that hug. A mix of happiness, concern, despair, and disappointment. 

"Don't listen to Uncle Joey. I can't lose another person."

*   *   *

"Your father signed this frame." Joey happily sighed. 

"Too bad I never thanked him." Joey handed me the frame. 

The frame edges were covered in dust, the glass partially broken. It contained a drawing of Boris the Wolf, Bendy, and Alice Angel. Boris held a picnic basket in one hand, Alice waving, and Bendy holding both of their hands in the middle. Bendy's iconic smile radiated through the screen. On the glass my father's handwriting read:

Congratulations on your success!

Your best pal,

Henry Stein

"I know you miss him. He's still alive. He's looking for..." 

"Dad's alive?! Where is he?" I asked. 

"I'm the dancing demon watch me twirl...The machine must endure...Joey?...There's something I need to show you...I won't forget your sins..." Joey spoke in different voices. Joey started to twitch furiously. 

"Joey! Joey!" I shouted. 

Joey's eyes rolled up only showing the white of his eyes. "BUT I WON'T FORGET YOUR SINS!" Joey screamed. His voice sounded like thunder. A storm that was unleashed. The lights flickered out of control. The whole house went from light to dark in seconds. A lightbulb exploded from a lamp. The glass hit Joey puncturing the side of his face. Blood dripped down his cheeks. Loud growling came from down a hallway. I have never seen that door. Or that hallway. A red light glowed from the bottom of the door. 

"I WON'T FORGET YOUR SINS!" Joey's scream sounded inhuman. The lights went out. The darkness swallowed me. I swear I heard whispers around me. A mix of "He lied" to "He will set us free". The lights slowly came back on. 

"I know you miss him. He's still alive. He's looking for you." Joey said grabbing the frame tighter. 

What just happened? Why was that hallway there? Thoughts scrambled around my head trying to process what happened. If it even happened. Should I mention it to Joey? 

"Sometimes I hear his voice. He cries thinking of his sweet little girl." 

"Where have you seen him?" I asked. 

"I lied to them. But, I had to...to please him." Joey laughed. I lost my balance almost falling off the couch. Joey laughed like if he heard the world's funniest joke. Joey's laugh grew louder. What was so funny? Is this what dementia has done to Joey? Joey's eyes turned bloodshot, sweat trickled down his neck. Then he stopped. 

"I tried green grapes once. They're too sour for an old man like me."