Episode Nine: Mama Binturong

~Episode ten: Mama Binturong~

(before the events of the episode)

The sun rose high to an extent that was enough to rouse the miscellaneous group of animals who slept there, though the sand was a soft cushion and the dry heat of the sun provided extra warmth. The assorted animals that lay about the golden environment, finally began to stir at the sun's beckoning.

"*deep yawn* Ahh.. what a night!" Bunga sighed, stretching his body out as far as his limbs would allow; tucking his hands under his head for a moment, before using them to sit up and stand.

Fuli stretched and yawned herself, while on her side; opening her green eyes slowly, as they adjusted to the light of day. Gazing around she watched as the rest of her friends stirred from sleep, preparing to start yet another day of travel to get them even closer to where they desired to go. But as she scanned the group, an absence was brought to her attention.

"Wait,.." She said, rising from her place to pace toward her friends, searching again. "Where's Kion?" And with this statement, the realization became evident to them all, as they looked around for their leader.

"Any chance he wandered off for some reason?" Beshte thought, seeming unconvinced by this thought as he spoke.

"No way,.." Fuli decided, but catching their glances made her wonder.

"Well.. ok,.. maybe." She decided after a moment. "But he's never done this before."

"Doesn't mean he wouldn't start." Ono regrettably admitted. "I mean his scar has made him do quite a few things he's never done before."

"I.. guess you may have a point." The cheetah sighed finally. "Anga, mind taking a look for him?"

"Yup. Anga Lenga!" Taking off, the martial eagle began her high flying search. Her shadow rippled with each sandy wave that came and went by her, and her near distraction which nearly lost her the point of her search. Yet her keen vision caught on to this and her relief sparked interest.

xxxx

"Found him." Anga reported, landing amongst her friends. "I almost didn't see him among all this sand. He practically blends in other than his red mane and the tuft of his tail, it's a good thing it's so bright or I would've missed him entirely."

"Great.. where is he?" Fuli asked.

"This way.. back across the desert.." Anga replied, gesturing a wing out to her right. "Just past these dunes. Luckily he didn't get far."

"What was he doing?" The cheetah wondered further.

"Um.. well.." the eagle thought, searching for the words. "I'm not exactly sure how to explain it.. come on." She said, flapping back up to lead the way.

xxxx

Heavy steps shifted the sand, head hanging with a dazed, barely alert expression.

What is.. what is happening? The dry season seems much more dry.. or maybe that's just me again.. a stumble and he kept going.

Maybe soon we'll finish up our.. control and we'll finally be able to fre-I mean-rest. Wait.. am I here aline? It seems pretty quiet. But.. I was certain they were behind me. Unless,.. that warmth behind me is..

He turned around just to be faced with the singeing head that grinned spitefully back at him.

"Scar!" Kion gasped. A fear he was ill-accustom to beginning to take hold of him.