The Secret Society Part 2

Sean awoke to find himself on a bed. Looking around, he realised he was in the Watchtower infirmary. Slowly pulling himself up to sitting position, Sean then noticed the bandage around his head. With a grimace, he pulled it off letting the power of the Rider heal the injury and soothe the throbbing his head.

"You're awake, I see," said a deep familiar voice and Sean looked up to see J'onn J'onzz entering the room, his expression one of remorse and sadness.

"Yeah, I am," muttered Sean as he took a glass of water that was sitting on the bedside table and took a long pull of the drink. "What happened to Shade and his new friends?" he then asked.

"They got away," replied J'onn and his expression became even more mournful. "Sean... there is something you should know," the Martian said gently.

"What do you mean? What's wrong?" Sean asked looking worried.

"An argument broke out among us, while you were unconscious," said J'onn. "It got... heated," he added.

"Define 'heated'," said Sean.

"Some of us said some things that we were feeling all along, but kept to ourselves," replied J'onn hesitantly. "When we said those things out loud, it... changed things," he said.

"What happened afterwards?" Jason asked.

"We all went our separate ways," J'onn admitted.

Sean blinked in surprise. "Wait, what?" he asked. "Everyone split up?!" he exclaimed in disbelief "Just because we said some things that we didn't really mean?!" he added.

"We meant every word," J'onn corrected sadly. "I brought you to the Watchtower so that you could recover, but I'm afraid this is the end of the Justice League," he said.

"No... no, that is fucking bullshit!" Sean spat angrily as he stood up from the bed and grabbed his jacket and put it on.

"Sean, I understand how you must be feeling," J'onn said, "But, perhaps it is best if we all went our separate ways," he explained.

"Oh yeah?! Well, try telling that to all the people whom we've all been helping and protecting since you guys founded the League during and when I later joined up!" Sean retorted. "Isn't that what the League was all about? Protecting the people from things they can't normally protect themselves from?! Or have I been fooling myself this whole time?!" he yelled accusingly, his eyes briefly flaring with the power of the Rider.

"Sean, I know this is hard to accept," J'onn tried to say, when Sewn cut him off.

"Save it! I'm gonna find Shade and his new pals while you and the rest of the team go your 'separate ways'!" he spat as he marched out of the infirmary. Along the way, Sean passed Diana who looked as if she wanted to ask him how he was feeling but seeing the look of rage on the Ghost Rider's face made the Amazon think twice and back away. Wisps of smoke were pouring off Sean's head as the power of Zartharos threatened to overtake him. It was only through sheer force of will that prevented him from changing. At least for the moment.

Taking a Javelin, Sean flew back to Earth to start searching for a lead where Shade and his new pals might be.

...

In a secret underground base.

Grodd watched the tv monitor, re-watching the footage of the Justice League breaking apart.

"Things are going as planned," the telepathic gorilla smiled to himself.

"We could've taken the League right then and there!" Parasite complained "Why did you stop us?!" he whined.