3. Payal Singh Raizada : A Prayer Unheard.

Seattle.

Midvilave

August.

Autumn is just around the corner.

As the leaves start to turn colors, they begin to turn orange, red, and yellow.

The southern wind starts blowing again and the maple tree in front of the bungalow sheds its leaves again. The orange leaf flew towards the window and stuck to the glass.

Holding her mobile towards her ear, Payal tries to remove it. She is on the phone with Anjali, her Di. It was at that very moment that Di picked up the phone.

'Hello, Payal ji, how are you dear'

'Oh Di'

There was a sense of relief in Payal's voice.

We were worried about you. Why didn't you call us? Everyone here is so worried about you ..'

She could see a figure almost sliding towards her from the corner of her eye; even before the shadow of the figure appeared, Payal could smell perfume and hear a loud voice.

' Hello hai bye bye. Oh Payaloo, Is it... ANJALI bettia...?'

It's the one that doesn't need an introduction, oh yes it is Payals mother in law, Anjalis mami and above all Raizada Pariwar ki bahu rani...

Manorama Singh Raizada, the one and only.

As Payals screamed, Manorama snatched the phone from her hand.

' Anjali Betia, you OK, WhatsApp message ayaya, water water every where,are you near water? Beti you come here, don't stay there alone, we didn't tell your mama, after the operation he is more and more and more.... Payaloo what is that word..'

Payal said.. 'Adamant'

Manorama : 'haan.. wants to meet you, sasuma and Arnav bettuva. Aaranv is coming tomorrow, patha he? Only he talks your mama listnes. No listening me, or Aakash. Oh.. Listens to bahurani...no mention'

On the other side, Anjali tries to hide her giggle. She loves Payal even though she always makes a big fuss about others, especially Payal.

She cares about family and relationships, even though she does silly things. Anjali has witnessed that experience from childhood.

Mama took them to Shanthivan after they lost their parents; from that moment onward, Mamiji treated them like her own children. In every decision Mama made, she stood by him.

Mamu was planning to send Arnav to one of the best colleges in India, but he was scared to do so at such a young age. Mami, however, insisted that he should go to the best college in America, Harvard.

Her kitty party friend's son applied and didn't get admission, so she challenged them, saying my Arnav Betuva would.

Even Dadi opposed sending her grandson across the ocean. However, Manorama won the game. Her expectations were not disappointed as Aarnav came out on top. Mama then urged him to join the family business, properties, real estate, etc. Then Aranav said he wanted to start a fashion house. Mama wasn't sure if the idea was a good one.

The next night, mami came to Aarnav's room with two silk pillow covers stuffed full of her jewellery, and she asked Aarnav to use the same in order to fund his dream. Her gesture touched everyone. At that time, Aarnav had his own investors and took a small portion,just to please Mami. The people who believed in his ability.

Aakash joined ASR after returning from Havard. Not the Raizada group of enterprises. However both the brothers took over the whole family business as mamu was concentrating on their American Expansion.

Until the ASR empire collapsed in 2012, they were all members of the director board.

After that... Sigh...

Mami was still unwinding herself over the phone as Anjali listened.

'Anju you come here ma, don't stay there alone.' Anju Akash calling my phone. I will give the phone to Payal, you speak. Oh oi, Payal your betti is still in potti don't forget. '

Payal : No ma.

Until now, Payal had been waiting patiently for Manorama to hand over the phone.

Payal : Di

"I'm fine here, Payal ji. The rain stopped. Our rescue team is working hard. I'm only at work, so I don't want Aakash to make a scene like he did last time." Anjali couldn't contain her laughter.

Payal : Di we were so worried, last time you knew what you did.

Anjali: oh Baba, I know I know. Now you take care of Mama. I will call you the day after tomorrow when Arnav is there. We'll have a video call. Chalo conveyed my tight hugs to Laks, did she finish her toilet business? (Even Though Lakshmi Payals almost 7 year old is old enough she always need someone near her to take care of her)

Payal : no Di, I can still hear her songs from the toilet.

The two ladies burst into laughter.

Anjali : Speak to you later.

Payal : OK Di...

She was about to cut the call.

Anjali : Payal... (after a pause). Aarnav said he is coming back to India.

Payal : After deep silence... Is it Di..

Anjali : Don't tell anyone yet.

Payal : Sure Di...

She cut the call.

She could now see the street outside her house. To little girls crossing the road holding hands. The elder one is holding the younger one so tightly. She is so naughty, she collects all the leaves. She is chasing a leaf and crossing the door without noticing. Immediately, Payal screamed

' Kushi..'

Then realized her mistake and closed her mouth with both hands.

Tears ran down her cheeks.

Manorama heard the last part of the conversation over the speaker phone. In the adjacent room, she saw Payal and her situation.

Her tears were hidden as she walked towards the garden, leaving Payal in her world.

Payal : Kushi where are you..

(to be continued)