Chapter 8

"Jungkook, let's do something this weekend." Taehyung suggested. "How long has it been since we've done something together? 3 weeks? 4 weeks? 2 months?" He whined, leaning himself over the younger male's desk, forcing him to look up from his laptop.

"Stop exaggerating. And I can't do this weekend, I'm working."

"You've been working non-stop these past few weeks. We need to get out of here. You haven't-" The older male whined endlessly.

"Fine. Let's meet at my place tomorrow night and watch-" The younger began to suggest, cutting the older off. He knew exactly where this conversation was going to go:

Taehyung was going dare into the conversation with "You haven't been yourself since you and Jimin..." and was going trail off after mentioning his name, shortly before Jungkook would tell him not to mention the blonde's name again and that they were not talking about that now.

"Oh no. We're doing something outside, amongst people. Let's go to a club, have a drink, meet some people." The brown-haired male's voice tinged with excitement at the end. Surprised, Jungkook looked up a the older. He could see his brown-haired friend clearly wanted this and Jungkook supposed it wasn't a bad idea, he did need some time off work. And perhaps it wasn't a bad idea to give himself the rest.

The next day they closed up the office a little early and, as planned- mainly by Taehyung, they headed downtown to a nearby club.

Things were actually going pretty well; Taehyung was on his third shot of vodka, chatting up strangers before hitting the dance floor. Jungkook's evening on the other hand was a little less lively; he stayed close the bar for a good portion of the evening, nursing his beer until Taehyung would take him to the middle of the dance floor, but not for long as he ducked out again quickly, dancing wasn't his forte. Contrary to his expectations though, the raven-haired was, in fact, enjoying himself, differently to what Taehyung might be thinking as he sends him melancholy glances every once in a while.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say the young man dancing over there was trying to get your attention."

A new, feminine voice called out to Jungkook from behind him as he was watching his friend enjoying himself dancing. He turned his head, meeting eyes with a stunning woman; dressed in a sexy red dress and matching high heels. She raised her hand to play with her necklace; a subtle trick to divert Jungkook's attention to her cleavage. A subtle trick that didn't slip past the eyes of the private investigator, but nonetheless one that made the male do a double take.

"He'll stop trying in a few minutes anyways." The young investigator said, waving off her remark, while allowing himself to smirk flirtatiously. He diverted his attention to the lady beside him.

"Well, in that case, I suppose this seat beside you is available?" The beautiful lady in red asked. Jungkook gestured to the seat, offering it to her.

"How come a handsome young man like you is sitting on the side lines alone with a sad beer in his hand?" The woman asked him in an attempt to flirt.

"First of all, beer is never sad. And second of all, I'm not the type to be caught dead on a dance floor. So how about yourself?" Jungkook responded to her flirtatious speech.

Well, Jaein told me to come here to meet new people, and I suppose he's quite handsome...

"I couldn't bear seeing a gentleman alone by the bar, l had no choice but to come over." The young lady teased him.

But within seconds the black-haired male's attention was elsewhere entirely. Even with the music blaring loudly in his ears, as soon as someone stood close enough to him, whether he wanted it or not, he could read the mind of everyone around him, including the mind of the striking female in front of him now. It was the same everywhere he went; whether he's grocery shopping and the lady in front is mentally screaming at the crying baby, or meeting a new client for work who is sceptical of his capabilities. At times it put quite a dent in his self-confidence. His own mind was never at rest.