Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Remy awoke from his coma on the 8th day and was confused to find himself in Rogue's bed, and with her sleeping on a makeshift bed on the floor. To make matters worse, he had a thumping hangover, which probably accounted for why he couldn't remember how he got here. He tried to get up but really, it was more effort than it was worth.

He settled back into her bed and closed his eyes, though thankfully only sleep awaited him this time, not a coma.

 ***

The next time he awoke, Rogue was gone from beside the bed but was pacing up and down outside the bedroom door, squeezing something in her hand. She hadn't noticed him yet, so he took a few moments to try and recall how he ended up here.

He remembered flying back from France, then grocery shopping, then... then he kissed her!

He smiled at the memory.

"Chère?" he called, though his voice was hoarse from lack of use.

He heard a loud bang as the thing she was squeezing burst, which made him jump. If he wasn't completely awake before, he sure was now; then she was at his side.

"Hey," she smiled down at him, although she looked apprehensive.

"How are you?" he asked.

"I think that should be my line." She tried to smile but she appeared tired and haggard.

"What's up?" he asked but she didn't answer. "Didn't it work?"

She looked blank.

"Transferring my thieving memories to you," he clarified.

"Oh, yeah, that worked great," her smile this time was genuine, but still hesitant.

"So what's got you so sad?"

"Nothing, I'm fine," she turned away to leave the room but Remy grabbed her wrist. "Let me go!" she cried, although she could easily get out of his grip were she thinking clearly.

"No, not until you tell me what's bothering you!"

"I'm just worried, okay! You've been asleep for eight days and until just now, I had no guarantee you would ever wake up again!"

Although it was the truth, it wasn't what was bothering her and she felt bad as Remy let her hand go and seemed to visibly deflate before her eyes.

"I'm sorry, chère, I didn't think what effect this could have on you. Do you forgive me?" He looked up at her, hope shining in his eyes.

"Forgive you?" she sounded shocked.

"I know I don't deserve it but-"

"No," she cut him off, knelt down beside the bed and took his hands in her gloved ones. "Remy, I thought you'd hate me."

"Why would I hate you?"

Now she was the one looking downcast. "Because it hurts, and... and no one else has ever wanted to be my friend after."

Remy wanted to tilt her head up but he wasn't wearing gloves.

"Chère, look at me."

Although she was slow to respond, her gaze slowly drifted northwards until she was looking in his eyes.

"Rogue, that was the best damn kiss of my life, and I'd gladly do it again."

She smiled but looked away as her cheeks flushed.

"So, uh, I guess you must be hungry?" she quickly changed the subject to spare her embarrassment.

"Come to think of it, yeah, a little."