Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Remy looked down at the girl under him and releasing one of her hands, he pushed her hair off her neck so that he could kiss her there. Rogue smiled, her free hand grabbing a handful of his hair and pulling him away slightly.

"Are we supposed to be fighting or loving?" she demanded, but she couldn't stop being pleased that Remy couldn't keep his hands off her.

Remy got off and sat on the floor beside her.

"You tell me?" he stated.

Rogue sat up, wondering at the change in his mood.

"Look, Rogue... I thought we were using the inhibitor while we fought so that you could learn to use your powers while it was on."

The last of Rogue's happiness fled and she pulled her knees up to her chin and wrapped her arms around her shins. He was right.

"I saw how frightened you got in Area 52 when we entered the dampening field, I don't understand why you keep resisting this."

It had been two months since they had rescued Pietro but even before then, her heart hadn't really been in this. She had told him that the bang he heard when he woke up from his coma, was her powers overcoming the field for the first time. It was also the last time.

"Please tell me what's wrong?" he asked.

"I'm frightened," she admitted in a small voice.

She looked at him quickly, then turned away. Remy uncurled her arms from her legs and pulled her into his arms.

"Frightened of what?"

"Losing this," she admitted, taking his hand in her ungloved one. "If I learn to overcome this dampening field, we'll never be able to touch again."

"I don't want to lose this either," he admitted. "But I want to lose you even less."

Rogue snuggled in closer to him, putting her hands around him and holding him tightly.

"It's not just about sex though, I feel normal with you, Remy, and I want to continue to feel that way."

"I know, chère, I know." He didn't want to be the bad guy here, but he also couldn't stand the thought of losing Rogue. If the people who had kept her ever caught up with her, they would likley have power inhibitors and they wouldn't be afraid to use them. "Will you at least try, for me? I don't care if I can never touch you again, Rogue, I will always love you. You know that, right?"

She nodded against his chest. "Okay, I promise I'll try."

"Thank you." He kissed the top of her head. "Ten more minutes, then we'll call it a day, no?"

"Okay."

They continued to spar and this time Remy could see that she really was making an effort to access her powers. She wasn't succeeding though, so Remy decided to surprise her. It seemed that his waking from the coma had shocked her into accessing her powers the first time, so it might work again. He never used his powers when they sparred, it wasn't fair since Rogue couldn't (yet) so he lightly charged a few cards and aimed them at her feet. The bang was enough to make her jump but not seriously hurt her. She didn't know that though.

Rogue was surprised by the glowing cards and tried to back flip out of the way. She ended up hovering a few inches above the floor for a few moments, before losing her concentration and falling. Remy caught her, smiling.

"See, told you you could do it."

Once she had regained her footing, she pushed him away. "That wasn't very nice!"