Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Remy, X-23 and Logan had tracked Rogue to the airport and after using his skills to hack into the control tower computers, Remy discovered the destination of the only private flight that afternoon, which was Tibet, of all places. Although Remy could easily steal a plane and the mansion was some distance away, they had returned for the Blackbird anyway, knowing that it would be three, perhaps even four times faster than most private jets, such as the one Rogue was on.

Although he hadn't yet clocked many hours on the Blackbird simulator, Remy was a trained pilot and insisted on flying. Logan was happy to let him, assuming that at some point, he would be jumping from plane to plane, opening Rogue's like a tin can and extracting his girl.

That thought brought him up short, when had she become his girl? He thought of Laura in such terms but even if he hadn't fathered her the natural way, she was made from his DNA. Rogue was nothing to him, other than a prickly, gothic girl, with a lot of problems.

He couldn't deny it though, he thought of her as one of his now, a part of his pack. It was his job to protect her, just as much as it was Remy's, perhaps even more so.

He looked over to the Cajun in the pilots seat. He knew the bond between him and Rogue was one that he shouldn't contemplate breaking, lest he incur the wrath of both of them. Thankfully Remy had proved to have a lot more depth and drive than his glib exterior might suggest, meaning that Logan would let him stay with his Rogue. For the time being, at least.

 ***

"We've got company," came a voice from the cockpit.

Both Mystique and Mesmero made their way forward.

"What do you mean?" she demanded of the pilot.

He pointed at the on-board radar. "I don't know what it is, but it's two miles out and closing fast. Never seen a plane move that fast!"

"Increase the throttle, go as fast as we can." Mystique told the pilot, then turned to her partner. "You must take control of their minds," she demanded.

Mesmero closed his eyes and reached out with his senses. "There are three of them."

"So, take control and have them crash into the ocean!"

Mesmero didn't like being ordered about but she was right, they had to be stopped. He reached out with his mind again, searching for the pilot of the other plane, but he couldn't get into his mind. Given time he could break through the mutants mental shield, but they didn't have time. He could see the red dot on the radar getting closer and closer. He searched for the others on board. Having them attack the pilot would work just as well. His brow began to perspire with the effort of controlling three minds at once, two over distance.

***

'Remy, his control's eased, I can move my fingers!' Rogue thought.

'Good, now access my powers, chère."

Rogue thought about his charging ability and felt the energy flow through her body, suddenly Mesmero was gone!

'Go, chère, NOW!'

Rogue did as he said, punching a hole in the side of the aircraft. Immediately buzzers and warnings began to sound but by then, Rogue had spotted the Blackbird, which was flying rather erratically. Thankfully it steadied as she got closer, because thanks to trying to fight off Mesmero's control, she was tired and not at all sure that she had the power to carry the jet all the way home!

 ***

As soon as Wolverine and Laura came to their senses, Remy pushed them off and headed back to the pilots chair. Ignoring his many stab wounds, he did his best to steady the plane.