Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

It took three days before Remy received a viable lead from an old contact of the guild, Jacob. He was a courier and although he worked for the guild, he wasn't exclusive, so had been happy to continue working for Remy after he was exiled. With most people Jacob was pretty ruthless but over the years he and Remy had each helped the other out of a scrape or two, so Jacob was always willing to go the extra mile for his friend. Well, friendly acquaintance.

"It seems that there are a couple of mutants in Bayville who are interested in myths about an ancient mutant who went by the moniker, Apocalypse."

"Let me guess, is Magneto one of 'em?"

"Got it in one."

Remy knew that Magneto had been associated with Mystique in the past, so he had no intention going to him for help. Word on the street was that there had been a falling out between the two, but things change. They could have made up, or Mystique could be pretending to be someone else. Now that he knew that Mystique was Rogue's adopted mother, contacting Magneto for help was too risky.

For all Remy knew, Mystique could have found out about Rogue through Magneto, after all, she had lured Remy, intending to also lure Rogue, with the offer of a job.

"Who's the other mutant?" Remy asked Jacob

"A geneticist called Charles Xavier. He runs an institute that takes in mutants, helps them learn to control their powers, and he created the X-Men."

"Those do-gooders?"

"Yep."

"Okay, thanks Jake. I owe you one."

"Don't think I won't collect." Jacob said, hanging up.

Remy relayed the conversation to Rogue and they got their laptops out of their backpacks to do some research on the institute and specifically, this Charles Xavier character.

 ***

"What do you think?" Rogue asked as they looked through the gates of the Xavier institute.

"We can break in and get a proper look around but with all this security, I doubt they take kindly to uninvited guests."

Now that she looked, Rogue could see the security measures he meant. Though cleverly disguised, there looked to be all kinds of anti-intruder measures along the driveway.

"So we press the buzzer and see what they have to say?"

Remy reached out and took her hand. "They can't keep us here, chère. Worst comes to the worst, we can fly out and they can't stop us."

"What if some of them can fly too?"

"Look, we didn't find anything negative about this group, aside from their high school principle's grudge, and he just seems like a bigot. Plus, they were the ones who spoke for mutants at the senate hearings. I honestly think these people are genuine good guys and that if they can help us, they will."

Rogue gave him a tight smile, grateful for his reassurance but still unable to completely relax.

Remy pressed the buzzer.

"Hello?" Came a female voice.

"Yes, we'd like to see Professor Charles Xavier, s'il vous plait."

"Can I say who is calling?"

"Gambit and Rogue. He doesn't know us."

There was silence for a moment, then the women spoke again. "I'm opening the gates, just come to the front door."