Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Be careful, Rogue," Remy warned.

"If you're so worried about this client, why are we meeting her?"

"Just because she doesn't have a past doesn't mean she won't be a good client, we just have to be careful at this first meeting is all."

"So then what will you do? If we can't trust her to pay up, what's the point?"

"The point is I get to question her. I'll know if she's lying and if she is, we say no."

Rogue nodded her understanding. They were both dressed in all black, Remy had his contacts in to hide his eyes while Rogue's white hair was hidden under a baseball cap. They had to keep their guard up, which is why they had scoped out the meeting place (a disused warehouse) the day before and now had arrived two hours early.

They were standing behind a stack of boxes in the warehouse, waiting for any sign that the client was here. They looked at each other as they heard the door open, then the sound of heels clicking across the concrete floor.

"Hello? Mr Gambit, are you here?" A British accent rang out.

Remy signalled to Rogue and as he stepped out, she quietly made her way behind the client, first to make sure that no one else was with her and second, so that she would be trapped between the two of them if she wasn't who she appeared to be.

"Right here," she heard Remy say, pausing about ten feet from the woman. "So, what can I do for you?"

"I was under the impression that you worked with a partner."

"I work with more than one when I need to. Why the interest?"

"I like to know what I'm getting for my money."

"And I like to know who I'm working for. The name you gave me is an alias."

She raised her eyebrows, surprised and irritated that he had figured that out. "Very well, my real name is Lady Alice Daniels, you can see my passport if you would like."

Remy didn't step any closer but smirked. "Passports can be faked too, just like everything else."

Alice didn't speak again and the pair just watched each other, sizing each other up. Finally Alice couldn't keep silent no more.

"Well, do you want to know what this job is or not?"

"Not," he said, taking a step backwards. "You haven't said one true thing since you got here so, sorry sister, but you'll have to find yourself another thief."

Without warning, Alice launched herself at Remy. They fought for a moment with neither getting the upper hand, both very skilled fighters. Remy pulled out a card and charged it. She activated something in her handbag and suddenly her form became her normal form, blue skinned, yellow eyed and red haired. Although his powers worked with a dampener on, Remy was momentarily struck dumb by the change in her appearance, and she took her opportunity to hit Remy over the head, knocking him unconscious.

"You think that you can keep my daughter from me, you filthy thief! You will tell me where she is before we are done, or I'll make you wish that you were never born!"

He couldn't hear her, but Mystique had been searching for her daughter for a year with no luck, and she was starting to get desperate. It was quite by chance that she overheard the brotherhood talking about a mutant with white streaks in her hair, as well as the ability to fly and shapeshift. It had then taken her a while to find a phone number for Gambit, her daughter's supposed partner, but eventually she was able to break into Magneto's hideout and find it.