Welcome to Cedar Cove

It was a late summer warm afternoon. Dad is driving us home from the airport; he took the family to Italy this year to teach my sister and me about our family history. Like he does every year on our annual summer trips. Lucky for him, Elizabeth and I are diligent and interested in our family tree.

Elizabeth is a bit older than me. She is starting college at Boston University in a few days while I return to Cedar Cove High for my sophomore year. I look out the window, the blur of trees passing by, to see if we are almost home.

Glancing, I see my parents holding hands and Lizzy on her phone as Dux, a Bengal cat and family familiar, jumps on my lap while I pet him lightly. Dux has been in my family for generations; you might think he's old, but don't let his age fool you. He is swift and agile to this day.

Dad pulled up the driveway, parking the car. I am getting out, holding my suitcase. Walking to the front door of my house while mom opened it with a wave of her hand over the lock, the door clicked, showing it was a success; both dad and Lizzy not long after, as did Dux.

I went to my room, placing my suitcase on the floor as it unzipped and unpacking my belongings. Dad came in as Dux ran past him, resting on my bed. "Alex, are you ready for school in a few days?" he asks. I nodded. Yeah, dad, I'm all set," I assured him.

"And you are sure you're okay being home alone for a few days?" I tilt my head back in annoyance. "Dad, I'll be fine, I'm going to be a sophomore soon, and you and mom need to be there for Lizzy when she goes to university."

"Okay, it just sucks that your first day is the same as your sister's," my dad huffed.

Dad left, only leaving me with Dux; I rubbed his belly as I heard someone else coming in. "Knock knock," my head turned, seeing my neighbor and best friend, Noah. "Hey," I hug him. He sat next to me on the floor, also petting Dux. "How was Italy?" he asked. "Oh, you know, learning the family line as we do yearly," I chuckled.

"What, no fun?"

"Of course, don't get me wrong; we've done some sightseeing too."

"That's good," we hugged again.

"Are you ready for school?" I changed the subject.

Noah shrugged, "I guess all I know is when I have you, I'm ready."

"Same goes for me, too," I smiled.

A few days later, the alarm on my phone woke me up, telling me to get ready for my first day. I wore black jeans, converse, a graphic tee, and a denim jacket enchanting it with a protection spell. Heading downstairs, Noah was already in my kitchen, raiding the cereal cabinet for breakfast. "Hey, Noah, all ready for today?" I ask. He groaned, pouring himself a bowl of Cheerios. "Pour me a bowl tool, please" I sat next to him as he did, taking our time before school started. "Did you enchant your jacket this morning?" I reminded him, "Crap," he sighed. He took his jacket off and held it while closing his eyes, whispering the spell. Noah and I headed out the door after breakfast, walking to school.

Cedar Cove High is a big school with many students, and let me say it's not your typical high school. Most of the students here are supernatural. The jocks are mostly werewolves, the punk kids are vampires, and the rest are witches or humans.

We both made our way to our lockers; Noah was beside mine. We open them putting our bags in when I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Ow! You shock me" I turn to see my good friend and captain of the junior football team Colton Reed. He is wearing his varsity jacket and boot-cut jeans showing his built form. He runs his hand through his hair, giving me a smirk as I return a coy smile. "You know you get shocked if you touch me," I reminded him. Colton rolled his eyes and pouted, "So I can't, hun, my favorite witch?"

"Keep it down," I hushed him playfully.

He chuckled, "How was your summer? Your dad still teaching you family history?"

"Well, you know my father, the historian," I laughed.

For a moment, he looked into my baby blue eyes as I looked into his golden browns until the intercom interrupted us. "Would Alexander Pierce please come to the front office?"

"School hasn't even started, and you're already in trouble," Noah joked.

I sighed, walking to see the principal, a middle-aged couple, and a boy who seemed to be their son. "Alex, thank you for coming. This is Mr. and Mrs. Motes and their son Anthony" Principle Clark introduced me. I got an itch running through my body as I shook Anthony's hand. He probably senses it, too; maybe he's a witch.

"Could you please show Anthony around the school and make sure he gets by okay," Principle Clark added.

"No problem," I agreed.

We both walked out of the office after he said goodbye to his parents. I took him to his locker, which was next to mine. He seems very shy and nervous. He twists the combination of his locker as I look at his appearance. He has short raven hair and forest green eyes, wearing glasses, a polo shirt, and jeans. Anthony grabbed the first book he needed for the day. Holding it firmly as I walk him to his class, I notice him glancing at me a few times. "Here is your first class; I'll pick you up after," I said.

"T-thank y-you," he stuttered.

After school, I waited for Anthony at our lockers to walk him home and maybe show him around town. As I saw him walking towards me, Noah walked next to him, "Hey Alex, are we still playing video games at your house?" Noah ask. I chuckled, "Of course, my parents are away; we could do whatever we want." Anthony stayed quiet, minding his own business, but being the new kid, I'm sure he could use a friend.

"Anthony, would you like to come to hang out with us?" I invited.

"Oh, no, I shouldn't. I don't want to impose, "Anthony answered shyly.

"It's no problem at all, right, Noah?" I look at him.

"It's no problem at all, dude," Noah agreed.

We closed our lockers, headed out of the school building, and walked to my house. As we got close to my street, a car pulled over. I see Colton in the driver's seat while some of his football friends are in the back. "Good afternoon, Alex, Noah," he greeted as his eyes shifted to Anthony. "Who's the new kid?"

"This is Anthony," I introduce him, "And he is coming over to play video games."

"He seems very shy," Colton mentions as I notice Anthony looking down at his feet.

"And he's a wimp," one of Colton's football buddies, Brian, added.

I glared at him, "Down, boy. Play nice unless you want to see what I can do," I whisper-yelled.

"Got it," Brian gulped.

"Good. I'll see you soon, Colt," I scratched under his chin.

The three of us continued walking as Colton drove off. I looked at Anthony, concerned, as did Noah, "Are you okay?" I asked. Anthony slowly nodded, "I'll be fine," he shook it off; while I looked at Noah, confused, he did the same.

Noah and I gave Anthony a group hug to show him and understand we're friends now, being part of a small group with pure instinct. Then, letting go of the squeeze, I look at him and say: "Welcome to Cedar Cove."