Why Are You Avoiding Me?

It has been three days. Three days since the locker incident, I've been staying at home or wandering downtown during those days. My parents say it would be best if I stay in Elysium for a while, and they're right it would be best; thankfully, Noah and Anthony would be joining me, but Colton will stay here in Cedar Cove, and considering what happened in my bedroom, it's pretty clear we do need to talk.

He has avoided my calls and text messages, and he wouldn't look at me whenever I see him in public. So I decided enough is enough. I'm going to see him whether he likes it or not.

Soon enough, I went to my closet to change and head out the door. It wasn't hard to find Colt; usually, he would be at the gym working out after school. In the meantime, I hid on the side of the building, waiting for Colton to show up.

Lucky for me, spring is around the corner, so today has been the warmest winter, with the sun brightly shining and the snow slowly melting. I'm beginning to feel the heat in my body from the layers I'm wearing; I guess I shouldn't have to wear a jacket today.

With the corner of my eye, I see someone carrying a gym bag as they left the building; with no mistake of seeing the bag before and knowing who it is, I grab the men arm, pulling it towards me, his back against the wall as my hands pinned him "Why are you avoiding me?" I ask in anger.

With Colton being more robust than me and having big muscles, he, without a problem, shifts us around, so my back is against the wall instead; without saying a word, I might add. His hands tightened each of my arms, pinning me and causing his gym bag to fall on the ground. I can feel his breath close to my face, the huffing from his nostrils, and his golden eyes showing a hint of glow. He gritted his teeth before shouting back at me, "Because I..." he trailed off, his voice becoming quiet.

"Because what?" I ask him sternly.

Colton loosens his grip, his forehead touching mine, and his face softens as his eyes stop glowing. "Damn it, why is it so hard?" he mumbles in frustration, not meeting my eyes. I looked at him, puzzled; he did a big gulp as he looked back into my eyes, saying something that caused me to smile. "Alex, do you wanna hang out tonight... just the two of us?" I offer a big huge nodding my head, confirming his request. Colt sighed in relief, "I'll pick you up at eight."

"I didn't mean to avoid you," he whispered before leaving. I can sense the happiness within him and his smile from the answer I gave him. As Colt walks away, I walk in the opposite direction, having an iced coffee on the go and drinking it at a nearby bench. I sip my drink as I think about what Colt asked me, just the two of us. Is this a date? Did I agree to go on a date? Is that what he meant? As I continue to think more about it, I don't hate it. It would be my first official date if this were the case.

"Um, Alex?"

I looked up to see a guy I didn't recognize; he gave me a soft smile and sat beside me. "We haven't met before, but I go to your school; the name's Mason," he introduced himself. "Anyway, I saw what happened to your locker a few days ago, and I want to make sure you're okay." I nodded, informing him everything was fine; I continued to sip my coffee as Mason talked.

"It sucks, you know, the people dying in this town and the awful message on you and your friend's lockers. I can't imagine what you guys are going through." As Mason kept talking about his sympathy, my eyes glanced over to some ink on his wrist, his sleeve covering most of it. "Is that a tattoo on your wrist?" I ask curiously.

"Huh? Oh ya," Mason rolled up his sleeve, revealing two crossed swords and the rest of his tattoo. "Pretty neat, huh?"

I nodded in agreement, finishing my coffee and throwing it in the trash. Mason then got up, rolling his sleeve down. "I gotta get going now; we can hang out sometime if you like, catch you later," he waved, leaving the area. I stayed behind, sitting on the bench, thinking again about this hangout later tonight with Colt; this should be good. I shouldn't be overthinking this; I should be excited about being with Colt.

Later I walk back home, back into my room as my body plops on my bed, wanting comfort. With the snap of my fingers, I turn on the stereo that plays songs at a low volume; my eyes look up at the ceiling, knowing I smiled at myself because something good is finally happening, such as tonight. I blush at the thought of it, wondering what might happen.

I walk over to my closet, wondering what I should wear. Should I wear something casual or formal? Or should I not make a massive deal about this? Tonight isn't going to be some casual hangout like we did before; this is a new step. And it's with Colton, one of my best friends.

I sighed to myself, then heard the front door open from downstairs. Thinking it might have been my parents, I brushed it off. Soon my bedroom door flung open, reviling Noah and Anthony. "We heard what happened, and we are here to help," Noah beamed.

Noah and Anthony are here to help. Help with what? What is happening right now? I feel so confused about what's to come.