Training

Training. That has been happening for the past few days. Noah, Anthony, I would go to the gym every day after school. Not the gym where mortals go to gain muscle, but a gym where witches like us could strengthen our magic, practicing our spells.

Funny enough, spellcasters practice underneath the town's local gym. A door leads to the basement; the spellcasters secure it for the mortals for apparent reasons. Inside, the basement is spacious. There are a few small sections where people can stand one another, like the dome back in Belden.

Luckily for us, a free one has opened up and the far end of the room. Anthony and Noah stand opposite one another as I sit on the sidelines, instructing Anthony. "Today, you will learn how to push someone back. For example, if someone ran towards you, you could push them back at a further distance," I explained.

"When Noah comes towards you, all you gotta do is wave your hand and push towards him, like you're pushing a box," I directed. Noah walks towards Anthony. Soon, Anthony raised his hands. When Noah came closer, Anthony pushed, but nothing happened. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know what happened; I did what you said," Anthony stammered.

I smiled at him, convincing him it was okay, "it's okay; it happens; all you need is some motivation." Then, for a moment, I thought of an idea, "Okay, how about we pretend Noah is Kayden, who wants to taste your blood." Anthony nodded in understanding; he stood still, ready for Noah to come at him, but again nothing happened. "I'm sorry, " Anthony apologized, "I don't know what's wrong."

It's not Anthony's fault; something is blocking his mind. I told him not to worry about it; we could always do it another day. Anthony said his goodbyes as Noah and I stayed behind. "Noah, I have a plan, it sounds crazy, but it could help Anthony get the motivation he needs," I told him.

"What do you have in mind?" Noah requested.

"You use a glamour spell to look like Kayden to 'attack him.' I'm sure it will give Anthony the push he needs." I suggested. Noah agreed. We went to a nearby alley; Noah waved his hand over his face; soon enough, he looked like Kayden; he gave me a slight nod before following Anthony. I followed as well but not too close to being noticed.

Lucky for us, no one is around. Instead, 'Kayden' ran up to Anthony, gripping him tight. Seeing Anthony, his facial expression shows he's startled, but he doesn't know he is in good hands. Anthony tries to push 'Kayden' away; at first, it doesn't go so well, but suddenly Anthony makes himself harder, letting a blast of magic hit 'Kayden' back.

I rush to Noah's aid as his glamour fades, returning to his original face. "What's going on?" Anthony asks, looking at me, furious. I glance back with an understanding look, "I'm sorry, Anthony, I thought it could help you, and it did; you did well." I praised him.

"Well, it wasn't funny; you scared me," Anthony said disgustingly.

"You're right; forgive us?" I pleaded. Anthony agreed with a sigh, coming towards Noah, "Are you okay? Did I push you too hard?" he asked.

Noah shook his head. "No, I'm fine, but you did outstanding dude; you should be proud of yourself," Noah grinned. Anthony glowed with happiness, hearing those words, giving a big grin.

Anthony reached his hand, helping Noah up. He hugged us both, thanking us for helping with his training. "Thank you, guys; you two are amazing." Noah and I hugged him back, having our group hug.

After training, we would always go to the cafes, sit in our usual booth, and eat. I sat across Noah and Anthony this time, smiling at one another, giggling as we chatted.

After dinner, as night starts to occur, I hold up in my room, finishing my homework; although it wasn't hard, I have good grades. A text from my phone lost my concentration, seeing who it was from the screen showed Colton's name 'want to meet at the cafe?' the message said. I smile softly at the screen, replying to him, 'of course, see you there!' I typed back.

After finishing my homework, I put on my coat, headed out the door, and walked to the cafe. Upon pacing the streets, each house becomes decorated for Halloween or All Hallows Eve, as some call it. Even the town square's maple tree has ghosts hanging on the branches with orange and purple lights. The holiday is coming close.

I spotted Colt at the cafe's window; he smiled once he noticed me through the window. I smiled back. I walked through the entrance, ordered hot chocolate, and sat across from Colton once I got my drink. "How's my little witch?" he greeted in a low voice enough to hear. "Just ecstatic," I laughed in sarcasm.

Colton laughed with me before taking a sip from his hot chocolate. "Dressing up for All Hallows Eve?" I gave a curious look; Colt answered with a nod with a hint of a smirk. "What is it?" I continued. He drank again without an answer. I rolled my eyes, then looked out the window seeing the maple tree glow far in the distance.

"It's a beautiful tree," I blurted out.

Colton looks in the same direction as me." Our ancestors made the right decision planting a maple tree instead of some other tree," he agreed.

Our heads turn from the tree to each of our faces; his golden-brown eyes gaze at me, giving me a soft look. I finish my drink and stare back; he opens his mouth, about to say something but stops when Brian and the other guys from Colton's pack interrupt him. "Hey, buddy, Alex," he speaks to us. I gave him a nod as Colt glared at me. Brian looked down, ashamed for interrupting, but I didn't want to overstep.

I slide out of the booth after saying goodnight to Colton and the pack. The crisp cold night air hit me as I walked out of the cafe as made my way home, but I stopped myself, looking back at the window where we sat; seeing Colton and his friends still there, I smiled to myself and thought, what a great guy he was.