Chapter 3

Something flashed across Percy's mind as he watched Minho, the boy's breathing rate slowing as he sipped water from a cup Thomas had passed him.
His only complete memory. The eyes, the hair, the smile. He remembered clearly and searched his mind for her name. It came to him readily.
Annabeth.
The name struck him. A warm feeling rose in him. Who was Annabeth? Why did she pop into his mind just like that, all of a sudden? Then another piece of the puzzle fitted. He glanced at his orange T-shirt.
Then his memory started filling, becoming complete, like Annabeth was a key to knowledge. A key to wisdom, like she was wisdom herself. She was his girlfriend at a place called Camp Half-Blood, a place for people like him: A demigod. A half-blood. Half human, half god. He'd completed quests. He fought Gaia with six others like him.
Another name flashed in his mind: Leo.
More memories came to him. Leo...
Leo went on a quest with him once. It was his first and final quest.
Percy's heart sank. He remembered Leo's final heroic moments...how he'd sacrificed his life to destroy Gaia, to complete their quest.
A tear rolled down his cheek as all the memories flooded into his mind. A lot of them were sad. People dying, demigods betraying their kind to serve the enemy and getting killed in battle.
It was too much for Percy.
He ran as the dam of tears broke.